pir lights & pricing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Just been to look at my first job since becoming a member of Elecsa and am a bit lost to say the least!!!

Firstly, what's the best way to price fault-finding? Is it standard to charge by the hour?

Secondly: the potential client had the house built only three years ago and the electrician wired the front porch lights to the rear garden lights, not sure why, and the client wants the separated for obvious reasons. I was wondering if it's possible to get a small unit which could act as a PIR for the porch lights instead of having to buy new ones?

A forum member kindly made a quotation report public for everyone to look at. I brought it with me when I looked at the job, but realised there were a few questions which I couldn't answer.

When looking at jobs, does everyone open up the CU?

Sorry to ramble on, but this would be a nice job for me to do as it's practically on my doorstep.

Cheers

Nat

PS: along with the above, client has faulty socket behind fridge in kitchen and some dimmer switches which have stopped working. Is any of this notifiable???

I play it that if I dont do anything on the visit (you know only took a quick look 10 mins max) it's a freebe, then sling an extra couple of quid on the quote to sort the repairs.

Thanks M107, I just meant that when you switch on the porch lights, all garden lights come on also and she now wants them separated. Depending on how it's been wired I thought it might be easier to replace the porch lights with passive infra red.
If the switch is at the front door/porch & it's a recent build my money will be on the switch is used as the junction (L+N+sl at switch), if so you'll probably find a loop for the porch & one for the garden lights, if this is the case your laughing just replace the switch for a 2g & wire accordingly. You could still use a pir for the porch inline between switch & luminaire if you wanted.

If the switch is at the front door/porch & it's a recent build my money will be on the switch is used as the junction (L+N+sl at switch), if so you'll probably find a loop for the porch & one for the garden lights, if this is the case your laughing just replace the switch for a 2g & wire accordingly. You could still use a pir for the porch inline between switch & luminaire if you wanted.
Had a look today and unfortunately, the above is not the case! :_| Just a 3c&e cable. Having taken a look at some of the other light switches, there's some strange wiring going on... :eek: I'm going back on Tuesday to sort one of the other problems and take a closer look at the outdoor lights. Am I likely to find anything within the fitting do you think?

Had a look today and unfortunately, the above is not the case! :_| Just a 3c&e cable. Having taken a look at some of the other light switches, there's some strange wiring going on... :eek: I'm going back on Tuesday to sort one of the other problems and take a closer look at the outdoor lights. Am I likely to find anything within the fitting do you think?
why a 3core+E...?

is it a two-way switch??