PIR on a farm.

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
5,564
Reaction score
28
Location
Berkshire
Some farmers diy electrikery :eek:

The cu in the barn supplied by a 27 meter run of 6mm T/E clipped direct to outside of barns & stables + 9 meters on catinary.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/electrical001.jpg

The inside of the barn cu....nice mix of ocpd & no rcd apart from the 100mA at the service head TP & N supply

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/electrical002.jpg

JB for the lighting

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/electrical003.jpg

Flex to outside bulkhead lighting

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/electrical004.jpg

Light pendant in the washroom + twin to the doorbell tranny, nice use of ceramic wirenut.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/protec006.jpg

The incomming supply + smashed 400v 32a outlet. The small 45amp rated cu with 40amp breaker is the submain to the barn, supply to this cu is 6mm straight off the 3P&N 60amp switch fuse chamber to the left.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/electrical005.jpg

No socket or isolation switch for a pillar drill, just this nice chocblock connection...... at least it's got tape on it.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/electrical006.jpg

 
Joined
Feb 27, 2008
Messages
11,034
Reaction score
0
m107 its frightining what goes on. Went to look at job today, shop owner asked about having meter put on supply to flat. Armoured cable that feeds flat was wired direct into henley block from mains with no switchfuse. who does this work.

batty

 
Joined
Jun 21, 2008
Messages
17,033
Reaction score
21
lol

That's good for some farms. MCB's even earth sleeving on that JB! Thought they were supposed to be accessable - leaving the lid off surly helps with this requirement........... :)

I worked on a dairy farm who once wedge a MCB in the on position so he could continue milking, and melted it.

I've seen sections cut out of 4" nails to repace ceramic fuses in tractors.

Farmers think that insulating tape insulates everything. They also believe they can mend everything. I had to plug the scanner into the other half of a burnt out socket last week.

I've seen extension leads made from a 3 pin plug, some 2nd hand T&E and a socket front with insulating tape at the back.

I could go on... :D

 

emf

Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Why is it people think they can muck about with electrics? People wont muck about with their gas supply and at least you can hear and smell that stuff

 

Admin1

Forum Founder
Joined
Feb 6, 2008
Messages
10,278
Reaction score
-1
Why is it people think they can muck about with electrics?
Because they have had it like that for the last 20 years without a problem. :(

 

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
1,152
Reaction score
0
lolThat's good for some farms.
That's true..... :_| Farms have some WIERD stuff going on! Two phase seems to be quite common, trying to find where the earth comes from is nigh on impossible and everything seems to be in twin and earth and spider-webs! :^O

 

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
24,337
Reaction score
117
Location
Gtr Manchester
That's true..... :_| Farms have some WIERD stuff going on! Two phase seems to be quite common, trying to find where the earth comes from is nigh on impossible and everything seems to be in twin and earth and spider-webs! :^O
made me laff that did.

but oh so very true.

i have actually came across two 1/2" copper pipes nailed to a wall about 2" apart and used to take the P&N down the side of a cow shed about 80' :eek: :O

god knows how no one every got killed with that thing

 

ABC Technical

Well-known member
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
885
Reaction score
0
Jeezus H Christ that is shoddy indeed, thanks for the pics M107. :)

 

NWDS

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Its sad to say but when a gas pipe explodes major damage is caused, that is why they will not touch it, If electricity did the same then they would give it more respect, not nice I know but very true.

regards NWDS

 

ABC Technical

Well-known member
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
885
Reaction score
0
Have you ever seen an electrical explosion?

Heres a story that may make you think.....

I was a young apprenti and a fella on our job had used to long of a screw to mount a breaker to the bus bar and it shorted out on the tub. He got flashed pretty good so we took him to the clinic.

It was just about lunch time when I got back and I asked the foreman if we were going to have lunch. He said he wanted to "fix" the panel in question and told me to give him a hand. The panel was in a small closet with only one exit and I was on the opposite side of the panel with him between me and the door.

He decides that he is going to remove the bus bar (I'm talking about the tab that the breakers mount to) from the bus while it is energized.

"Shouldn't we deenergize it?" I says. "Naw, all the computers are running off this panel and it would be to inconvenient for them." He then pulled out his needle nose pliers (the shorted out screw had blown the end of the bus bar off. He had his needle nose in the remaining screw hole and over the end) and nut driver and tells me how he had done all kinds of live work as a line man etc etc.

I musta said we should shut it off half a dozen times but he refused saying it was no problem. THe whole time in the back of my mind I am thinking, "if something happens the fuse will blow and it will be no big deal if he screws up." Boy was I wrong.

I climbed myself into the corner of the room on a wooden ladder holding the flash light with him between me and the door. There he was in all his glory, standing on a spool of BX with one hand on his needle nose and the other on his nut driver unscrewing the bar. He looked at me and said "now this is where you have to be really careful."

Instantly, everything went white and I was blind. The heat was un bearable and the god awful sound of a short BVVVZVVVVVT (you guys now the sound) was all I could hear. I was pressing myself against the ladder trying to get away but there was no where to go. I was cowering there for what seemed like forever waiting for the fuse to go. Finally I was like "I gotta get the hell out of here" and I peered under my arm and all I could see was the silloutte of my foreman still standing in front of the panel. I remembered from school as a last resort if you have to get some one off of something to kick them. Well I had no choice but to give him a boot to get out, so I gave him the hardest back kick from off of my ladder as I could and he went flying out the door. I hit the deck and belly crawled under the blue arcing fireball out the door.

I picked him up and we stumbled blind down the hallway and stumbled out into a public area. There was a huge line up of people waiting to get on a gondola(this was at a ski resort) and I remember a lady screaming "oh my god look at his face!" I turned him around and his face was burned BAD, nose black, lips hanging in shreds.

Well long story short he had third degree burns to his face, neck, chest, arms, and a broken knee from when I kicked him and he fell off the spool. He had gklasses on at the time and they saved his eyes, the were completely black and the nose peice and both arms had melted to his head!

I lost all the hair on the back of my head and had a hole burned in the back of my jacket. I had arc flash and it took a while for my vision to return.

I was told that what happened was that the panel shorted phase to phase and that it was called cascading as all the molten metal melts down and continues to short. The bus bars melted about two feet each. Apparently, they had the wrong type of fuse installed and that was why it did not trip. THis was when I was a first year apprentice so all the details of what kind of fuse it was was over my head at the time.

Needless to say, who cares how inconvenient it is for anyone, shut it off!

 
Joined
Jun 21, 2008
Messages
17,033
Reaction score
21
That's dreadful mate. Just show's you musn't play with electricity.

There was a lad in my year at school who died from an electric shock when he plugged a faulty keyboard transformer in after a bath.

:|

 

ABC Technical

Well-known member
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
885
Reaction score
0
I should also have added that this was not me, but a guy in the USofA, can you imagine that happening to you as an apprentice?

If it were me I'd be as far away from anything electrical as is possible, preferably in a cave. :)

 

NWDS

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
you made my point for me gas takes out a whole St and more deaths etc, this is not to say its any more gangerouse than electricity ( more people a day get a belt ).

regards NWDS

 

ABC Technical

Well-known member
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
885
Reaction score
0
Aha, I see your point & recognise my premature earlier post. :)

 

Latest posts

Top