points served

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringy

Reaction score
another question about certs

number of points served.....say a shower for example you have the pull switch and the shower would that be 2 points served?

lighting circuit say 10 pendants 10 switches would that be 10 or 20?

cheers lads

im getting there slowly lol

another question about certsnumber of points served.....say a shower for example you have the pull switch and the shower would that be 2 points served?

lighting circuit say 10 pendants 10 switches would that be 10 or 20?

cheers lads

im getting there slowly lol
1 & 10.

Don

thanks mr corleone :)
However there are conflicting views regarding a single or double socket.

Perhaps other members could ratify this? (As my boys are becoming very stressed)

The Godfather

i was lead to belive it was 1 point served on a socket no matter if it was a 1g or 2g

A double socket is still only one point. It's max rating is still 13A after all.

If you look at the back of a double it is still printed as 13A rating. A double doesn't mean you can plug two 13A loads in, you'll melt it if you try to draw 26A from one.

Many times have I had to slap caterers on the wrist for plugging in two water boilers on a double socket after I've been called because 'we can't get the plugs out of the socker. They've melted in!'

As another POV on this.....

We are counting points of utilisation. Given that a householder / tenant can change a single to a double, or vice cersa, with little issue, could bring about a situation whereby a new socket has been wired in, but the count of points still equals our figure on the cert.

Surely counting doubles as 1 means we can define the number of "connections" to the circuit?

If you get my drift.....

If you look at the back of a double it is still printed as 13A rating. A double doesn't mean you can plug two 13A loads in, you'll melt it if you try to draw 26A from one.Many times have I had to slap caterers on the wrist for plugging in two water boilers on a double socket after I've been called because 'we can't get the plugs out of the socker. They've melted in!'
Point taken, but the Don boy's have worked at a leading manufacturer of multi point outlets.

A double socket is protected by at worst case, a 32A MCB.

A double socket can have 2 x 13A plugs connected to it.

A double socket must be capable of passing 26A without exceeding a given temperature, according to CE tests.

(Apologies I don't have the details to hand at present)

Don

I'd have thought many people have their washing machine and tumble dryer plugged into the same double socket, and operate both at once.

Together they'll draw over 13A :|

As another POV on this.....We are counting points of utilisation. Given that a householder / tenant can change a single to a double, or vice cersa, with little issue, could bring about a situation whereby a new socket has been wired in, but the count of points still equals our figure on the cert.

Surely counting doubles as 1 means we can define the number of "connections" to the circuit?

If you get my drift.....
Connections is how I always look at it...

so say if doing Earth Loop readings on a ring.... test at each point.. not both sides of a D/S outlet IMHO.

e.g. there is wiring to four socket positions in a room so I need to test at 4 points? or 4 points served?

It just seems more logical to me? :|

I have seen the same rating as Mr S. on a D/skt; but also agree with apache with regard to utilisation of D.S.Os, especially in a kitchen or utility; or a commercial environment.

Mind, I don`t and won`t fit D.S.Os in a commercial kitchen - too tempting.

I'd have thought many people have their washing machine and tumble dryer plugged into the same double socket, and operate both at once. Together they'll draw over 13A :|
only when heating the water...

its generally the heating element thats the big power bit..

much of a wash cycle is spinning / rinsing and other boring lower power bits!

i was lead to belive it was 1 point served on a socket no matter if it was a 1g or 2g
Yeah i was told this by my nic inspector, single or double its 1,

I count a double or single socket as one point but mark on cert how many doubles and singles are on circuit hence if someone changes it at a later date you can prove how many sockets where installed.

Batty

Latest posts