Polish electrician/English electrician.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABC Technical

Reaction score
Hi guys now I know that the thread title may seem as a "Whats the difference between?" type question, but I am asking on behalf of a Polish electrician who has been qualified for 5 yrs (albeit Polish standards)

The question is this...... What would he need to do to get his certificates recognised over here?

Full 17th ed, Part 'P', or somthing else?

I know that I have had a few gripes about so called electricians from Poland before, but I have seen this guys work & he has worked with me a few times & I can honestly say that he knows his stuff is extremely competant & willing to keep on learning.

He has a passion for this trade as far as installation goes.

He is getting married next month & he & his bride are becoming British citizens later in the year.

Currently he works as a temp doing general labouring type jobs as his qualifications are not recognised here. I just think that he would be far better suited doing something that he can do & with such a keen eye for detail as he has it would be a shame for him to be doing labouring work for agencies.

Many thanks for your time & hopefully some pointers.

Nige. :)

I thought the EU had harmonised (see what I did there:D) various qualifications so that if they are up to the UK standard they don't have to do any further training, just register with the appropriate bodies? If it's the case for polish vets surley same for polish sparkies?

Going to suggest submitting his quals to City&Guilds; and see what comparable level they suggest. There`ll also be an issue with the college he chooses accepting that he is at a recognised standard, before taking, say, 2391.

I think there is a format, whereby you can take a "refresher" type course; which provides a recognised qual.

Sorry I can`t be more specific Nige.

ADMIN may be the better person to ask, if he`s on later?????

Cheers Apache & KME, will see if Admin replies tomorrow as I am off to Bedlam.

Had a hard day, but I am still loving it. :0)

Night, night to you all.

Nige.

Morning Girls.

All I can think of Nige - is the route that I am going down now Mate.

2382 (got) 2330 and 2391 if he wants to I&T.

Sorry, bit early for me.

I&T? Wassat then? :)

Inspection & Testing Nige you moron. :8}

do the minimimum - Part P and 17th edition, the only qualifications he would really need for the moment. The min requirement at the end of the day is to be 'competent' not qualified - the bits of paper help demonstrate his competence (especially to insurance companies / employers) and obviously brings him up to UK standards. Later, if he desires, do Inspection and Testing to demonstrate superior skills