Pondering's of a mad man?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The disorganisation whom currently employ myself have recently decided to move office space to a worse (homeless deficating in the doorway) & more expensive location, they have asked me to update the lighting from 36w single fluorescents to something a bit better So I went to have a look around and noted a couple of things...

Only a 6a & 32a fed from an old square D SP board, no arseydees (i know).

Very few sockets.

Dado trunking fed from a double socket with 2.5 T&E on a plug.

The office has a kitchen area fridge, microwave, kettle, toaster, coffee machine, instant water heater then theres 4 people with computers 2 servers, routers, switches etc then the thing that really concerned me is there is only one storage heater in the space approx 20x20m with no double glazing and what looks like a damp problem and a leaky roof.

I have also been told there have been neutral burnouts in the winter from overloading.

Its all very shoddy.

I spoke with my employer and he has been very much a penis about it, chucking his toys out the pram saying its not his problem as they are only renting and nobody else has raised any issues.

I am merely concerned for the safety of my fellow employee's and do little work in the commercial arena so I don't really know where I stand.

Advice welcomed :)

This is not going to be much help I don't think, but, BS7671 requires an EICR on change of tenancy even for commercial.

Your boss is probably on a repairs & renewals lease, so if he can't prove the state of the wiring when he moves in, he will be hit with a massive bill when he moves out to upgrade it to the current requirements of whatever version of BS7671 is in force when they leave.

I mentioned EICR and was told it was the landlords problem :C

Ohh well... the Tomatoe'd deserves it.

This place is such a mess only a fool would rent it.

The old place is great, all proper TP distribution, bill switches, 100ma RCD's on all the submains, 30ma on the sub boards all done in pyro / galv conduit and the best bit...

Clean Toilets!

EAWR is the tenants problem though!

just reading......

Not much I can stick to Mr Teflon other than PPM / Testing of equipment, I thought that maybe there was some kind of legislation that may apply here, but most of the commercial establishments I have worked in have been just as bad electrically as the domestic rental establishments.

As you can probably tell my job dissatisfaction has hit an all time high.

<_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Stick it in writing to the boss and forget it ,... I presume you don't have to work there yourself  Ducky ? 

Intersting comment from Sidey about  " when your boss decides to move out he'll cop for upgrading "    I'd say he needs to address that to the landlord in writing via his solicitor .

Stick it in writing to the boss and forget it ,... I presume you don't have to work there yourself  Ducky ? 

Intersting comment from Sidey about  " when your boss decides to move out he'll cop for upgrading "    I'd say he needs to address that to the landlord in writing via his solicitor .

Duly Noted Sir Dekington.

I will pass on my concerns even if they are treated as the mutterings of a fool. I won't be working in that office very often due to the lack of parking near by and the fact it smells of tramps urine. They did ask me to do some remedial work but I may pass on that.

Our contracts are up for renewal soon It maybe a good time to get on my bike and find some decent work if theres any left.

:)

Work direct, have done for 5 years now, what I meant by contacts was the council / NHS contacts we bid for are up for renewal so Im either going to be made redundant, replaced by cheaper labour as the contracts are getting smaller or TUPE'd over to another organisation.

:C

EAWR is the tenants problem though!
along with all building maintenance, so if the place is falling down, your boss will be expected to repair it - commercial rental contracts are barking mad. I know of a factory that had to spend £1million replacing the entire roof, and after that the landlord wouldn't let them put solar panels on 'his' roof.

Get another job with a better employer, or go SE.

Well you did ask.
Or he could go North Dave, perhaps buy your house and then you could put into place your retirement plans :)

Don't say I am not trying to help you Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad idea roys, I need to put some distance between me and the inlaws, 

also I'd have about 200k change from my 2 bed flat and an instant job!  :eek:

Not a bad idea at all....

-_-

And a more relaxed life style, traffic jams, part p and stress can become a thing of the past :)  

And a more relaxed life style, traffic jams, part p and stress can become a thing of the past :)  

Yeah, I can relate to that, I'm a country boy at heart but my career needs some more work before I put myself out to stud. :lol:

Go North young man ....you'd get a 3 bed semi ooop here  for £175,000    and have £25000 .00  to spare

View attachment 7018

Quite a few houses like that round here go for £1.2m +  :|

It's just gone totally bonkers down ere, I cannot afford a house as I would have to borrow 4/500k to get anything half decent, looked at a dump of a place in a scummy  area not far from me.... £850k :(

A move out of London is on the cards but not right now....