Porch Probs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddha

Reaction score
just fitted a pir in a porch to active the light there,previous person had taken a 3core and earth to a junction box,I identified the switched live and the permante,and wired the pir with light as per instructions.The light worked with the rocker switch and also (when switch was turned off) with the movement sensor.The only thing is when not being activated the light flickers with a dull amount of light emitting.It had an energy saving lamp in it,could this be the reason??

any help very much appreciated ;)

The energy saving lamp needs very little to light so induced current is probably making it flicker. If you put an incandescent lamp it probably won't flicker when turned off. LEDs have this problem too. I think some suggest fitting a resister or snubber to stop this but I may be talking poo lol :) Hth

The energy saving lamp needs very little to light so induced current is probably making it flicker. If you put an incandescent lamp it probably won't flicker when turned off. LEDs have this problem too. I think some suggest fitting a resister or snubber to stop this but I may be talking poo lol :) Hth
thanks mate

I don't like using low energy lamps in PIR's they just are not designed for constant switching. Just put a standard lamp or one of the halogen lamps in.

yeah,will pop back ,went through whole house to find normal bulb with bayonet fitting,wit no luck!

Another trick to solve this issue is re organise the use of the cores in the 3c&e cable.

I'll bet you have L and switched L on adjacent cores (brown and black)

Re organise it so that brown is L, Black is N (I'll get my tin hat) and Grey is switched L.

That will put N and E between the L and switched L and is virtually guaranteed to solve the capacitive coupling issue.

Latest posts