Posh customer better than you syndrome !!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't be just me that notices this .

With a lot  of well orf customers  do you find a  slight  " atmosphere"  that you are not really welcome  , you are not trusted  and they are obviously  far better than you .

As that comedian put it  ( Forgot his name)  he did a Brummie  character who had become well orf  and would say   " Oim  considerably richer than yow "  

On classic was years ago , just come on the tools , the firm did masses of work at the local car plant . Me & apprentii  were sent  to the home of he who designed a particular  very small , transverse  engine popular  car .   

Posh area , posh bungalow , reversed the firm's A55 van   onto the front drive .    Maid answered the door  , says , "you may bring in whatever dreadful equipment you need  then "... ... gestures to the van  ...."  Get that thing orf the drive  and put it down the road somewhere "    

It was an Austin van  !!!!!  

We were sent to another place  in the Clent Hills  ,  MD of a company we did a load of work with  .    Usual thing , £10 million house , electric gates, nearest neighbour 300 miles away .    Running a cable to a fountain in a garden  as big as  Villa Park,  we could see the lady of the house  having her hair done , which took forever .     I was the apprentice then ..... the spark is saying they're all stuck up etc  .     Later the lady of the house is heading our way  ,  sparks says  watch out now there'll be something she,s not happy about , they're all the same .  

The woman walks up and says   ...( Spec Loc will know what I mean )   ...  " Aye yow two  , 'ow am yer doing ,  ..yowl think oim  a right so & so not spakin'  but oiy wuz 'avin ' me 'air done . Now then darn the  ,ouse  with yer , I've got  egg & chips a gooing  for yer "       

Full blown Yam-Yam  with no side to her whatsoever .   

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't be just me that notices this .

I think I missed the point I was trying to make in my OP  .     

With some of the well orf  , theres an attitude , an assumption , that they are treated differently  to the hoi polloi  .     You see a lot of it in old black & white films  where even the police kow tow to anyone who speaks posh .   " I'm sorry to have pulled you over Sir but you just mowed down some children ....but as you play golf with the Chief Constable  I agree  they shouldn't have been on the pavement in the first place  and you're obviously a toff  so I'll say goodnight Sir . sorry to have troubled you "      

Firm I worked for in the '70s  , if they sent you to a job in Solihull    (Posh area)  they'd issue a warning not to upset anyone   :C   because  they knew the boss .     A lot of 'em would try to get you to do extra stuff on the cheap ....although they'd have  a couple of   1 million pound cars on the drive .   A lot of kippers & curtains going on . 

Went to a call out once ,  lost all power , posh road .  The gaffer had pulled us off a much bigger job the other side of the city ,  wouldn't have done that if they were "ordinary" people .  It was drop everything , get over there ASAP  .    

Knock the door , bloke says "I phoned   90 mins ago  ...we,ve got the vicar to afternoon tea in the garden , you'll have to  come back in two hours "        Had to ****** off, find a phone box ,  gaffer says you 'll have to wait then .     :C      

Gained entry about 5.00 pm   which was our finish time ,  got home about 7pm  , booked  5 hrs   plus travel time  on the job sheet ,  got a rocket from the gaffer later ,   I can't charge  all this  ,  like it was my bloody fault .       

I've worked for some very nice posh people ( usually started with nothing ) F Famous TV stars ( NOT BRUCIE, that was my grandad) and they have been dead normal.    Also,worked for some absolute bell ends and walked off at least 2 jobs because of heir "delusions of adequacy"

Footballers were the worst....thicker than 🐷 💩 

I tend to find the ones whose "wealth" is on show in the drive or in multiple garages can be a PITA. 95% of the the well off around me are extremely decent people.

We were sent to another place  in the Clent Hills  ,  MD of a company we did a load of work with  .    Usual thing , £10 million house , electric gates, nearest neighbour 300 miles away .    Running a cable to a fountain in a garden  as big as  Villa Park,  we could see the lady of the house  having her hair done , which took forever .     I was the apprentice then ..... the spark is saying they're all stuck up etc  .     Later the lady of the house is heading our way  ,  sparks says  watch out now there'll be something she,s not happy about , they're all the same .  

The woman walks up and says   ...( Spec Loc will know what I mean )   ...  " Aye yow two  , 'ow am yer doing ,  ..yowl think oim  a right so & so not spakin'  but oiy wuz 'avin ' me 'air done . Now then darn the  ,ouse  with yer , I've got  egg & chips a gooing  for yer "       

Full blown Yam-Yam  with no side to her whatsoever .   
Reminds me of working at Windle Hall which was the home of Lord and Lady Pilkington back in the late 70's and early 80's

There was one morning we turned up at the tradesmans entrance and rang the bell a few minutes later Lady Mavis as she preferred to be called answered the door in her dressing gown with rollers in her hair we introduced ourselves and were invited in we got as far as the kitchen Aga where she lifted one of the plate covers and put the kettle on with the comment I know what you workman are like you don't do anything till you have had a brew. Despite marrying into money Lady Mavis never forgot where she had come from and was always down to earth with no aires and graces

Worked there quite a few times every time I see the only fools and horses chandelier episode reminds me of the time we were tasked with fitting a new chandelier over the stairs using trestles and planks to bridge the half landing and landing, right at the critical part there are two of us trying to get the fitting on to it's hook and Lady Mavis appeared and screamed out the electricians are trying to commit hariKari walking the plank the 2 gardeners and the house keeper appeared to find out what was going on and even Lord Harry made an appearance and yes we nearly dropped the chandelier

Those were the days

Reminds me of the posh house I once went to price a job.  I was shown in to a nice freshly decorated living room and told she wanted wall lights in the 2 alcoves either side of the fire place.

So I started outlining what was needed, chase the walls up to the ceiling, take up floorboards in the room above, probably have to chase down to the light switch as well, re plaster and re decorate.

"So you don't want the job then" was her reply.  No I don't and I departed.

I used to do a lot of work for this consultant gynaecologist, her husband was a government vet, worked fot the MAFF, right posh people they were, lived in a large house nearest neighbour half a mile away and enough land to build about 200 houses on. she spoke as we call it 'awfully far back' think hyacinth bucket, but posher. Well she rang up one day, she wanted to discuss some work with me, " well Philip, perhaps you'd be free on Saturday afternoon, we can take tea on the terrace and discuss the work" she said over the phone.

Saturday arrived and I found myself sat on the terrace eating posh sandwiches and drinking some strange fruit drink, discussing the work and trying to not drop too many 'H's, well she went inside to get something and a few minutes later the patio doors fly open and she leans out and screams to her husband, !"John, that f****ng dog of yours has s**t all over my kitchen floor!

Bloody hell, I nearly choked on my posh sandwich. lol