Power LED string from mains

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barlew

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve built a lean-to in our garden and wish to add some lighting.  I’ve had experience with addressable LED strips, namely WS2811’s, so wanted to use these.  Previously I’ve built an internal display running from a power supply, but now I want to wire them into an existing light switch we have for an outside light.  To control the LED’s I will be using an SP108E Wifi controller (I’ve using the SP105E Bluetooth before).

WS28111’s

>IP67

>60 LED per metre

>20 metre string

>Data sheet: https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2811.pdf

SP108E Wifi controller

>Working Voltage DC5V – 24V

>Working Current 20mA – 90mA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BTF-LIGHITNG-WS2812B-Controller-Support-APA102C/dp/B07DVJ568C

My question is how do I go about wiring these into the mains lighting?  Will I need an IP67 transformer and would I need a Fuse Connection Unit?

I live in the UK and will be getting a registered electrician to certify any work.

Thanks, Barry

Thank you for replying.

Yes, the Blue neutral is at the switch.  We have 3 lighting curcits in our house each with a seperate rcb all at B6 which i assume is 6 amps.

Thank you for replying.

Yes, the Blue neutral is at the switch.  We have 3 lighting curcits in our house each with a seperate rcb all at B6 which i assume is 6 amps.

Do you mean there are two, (or more),  Neutrals looped into a separate connector in the back-box....

Or there is a "Blue" connected to one of the switch terminals?

If its a Blue connected to the switch then it is not Neutral, but the switched-live going out to the light..

:coffee

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good...

You will need a voltage tester to work out which one of the Browns is the permanent live from the fuse box...

and which one is the outgoing live to the existing light...

:coffee  

Hello,  appologies for my inexperience, but although I've a multi meter, I've know idea how to use it!  How do i set it up and how would i check which is the load and line wires in the switch?

Heres my Mulit meter.  Sorry, tried to attach to last post but it didnt appear.

IMG_20200702_143148.jpg

I live in the UK and will be getting a registered electrician to certify any work.

Thanks, Barry

Hello,  appologies for my inexperience, but although I've a multi meter, I've know idea how to use it!  How do i set it up and how would i check which is the load and line wires in the switch?

Hello Barry,  unfortunately I am now getting concerned about your ability to undertake the work you propose safely..

1/ You comment about getting a "registered electrician to certify your work" is about as probable as me getting an MOT testing station to issue an MOT for my car...

if I tell them I have done all the checks myself and the car is good.

95%+ of half decent electricians will only sign certificates for work they have done...

Because the signature declaration boxes on an electrical certificate take on legal obligations for Design, Installation AND Testing ...

NOT just testing!!

2/  The meter you show should be able to identify which of the wires is the permanent live..

But it would not be classed as an industry recognised test instrument capable of verifying if a circuit is live or dead and/or safe to work on..    

AND...  If you don't know how to use it, then that is also bit worrying..

The bottom line is you will need to connect your new lights onto the Neutrals in the connector block, the Earth in the back-box lug, and the Permanent live, (one of the two browns in the switch)..

if you picked the wrong brown then your new lights would only come on when the switch is turned on...

I would suggest you contact a local electrician who can test & certify your alteration..

And they may, (or may not),  offer some advice about any parts you can do yourself..

But for the time being on this topic..

in the words of dragons Den..

'I'm Out'..

Guinness

Hello, I will take your advise and hire an electrition to undertake the work.  I always like to do DIY myself, but i know my limitations!