Power Plug/Adaptor for LED Desk Light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legofingerz

Reaction score
Ok so this might be the dumbest question posted here, but here goes.

I took a punt on a LED desklamp from Amazon (more like Alibaba) and when it finally arrived it had a US/Chinese (?) plug with a janky looking UK adapter, for this reason and the fact the lead is too short I went looking for a replacement plug.

Now on the instructions that came with the light were as follows:

POWER SUPPLY:

(Input) AC100V-240V 50/60 Hz

(Output) DC24V --- 0.5A

Whole lamp power 9W Max

Believe it or not this is where I got completely lost as there are tonnes of power supplies / plugs / adapters out there and I know absolutely zero about anything electrical apart from my PC.

Am I safe to buy a run of the mill DC12V (which seems to be the most common)? or does it have to be a DC24V, most of which seem to have a big old black brick attached and look far to overkill for a LED lamp.

Any help so I dont burn my flat down would be most appreciated, thanks.

You need 24volts or it will be very dim, (or not light at all).   Have a look at CPC  item number PW04139.  

Thanks mate, that looks good. I think the cord is 100cm based on the pdf instructions. Which is a shame as I think that might be too short.

Am I right in thinking this isn't a common power supply? I've tried messing about with the filters on CPC (which I never heard of before, so thanks again) and the results are non-UK plugs when I filter by Input AC100V-240V & Output 24V.

Well, 24volts isn't as common as 12 but is far from unknown and quite a lot of led devices, such as some strips use it.

Note that the dc lead has a barrel connector on it. You can buy extension leads to match that, in various lengths.  Don't get a lot longer than you need as you will lose a bit of volt drop along the length. 

Also watch the  connector sizes as various are available. The 5.5/2.1 on the PSU I pointed you to is probably the most popular. These numbers are the diameter of the external and internal pins respectively.

ps I find CPC's search filters more hindrance than help sometimes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, 24volts isn't as common as 12 but is far from unknown and quite a lot of led devices, such as some strips use it.

Note that the dc lead has a barrel connector on it. You can buy extension leads to match that, in various lengths. Don't get a lot longer than you need as you will lose a bit of volt drop along the length.

Also watch the connector sizes as various are available. The 5.5/2.1 on the PSU I pointed you to is probably the most popular. These numbers are the diameter of the external and internal pins respectively.

ps I find CPC's search filters more hindrance than help sometimes!

Cheers again Geoff, I will grab one of those and look for an extension lead.

Locked to prevent being hi-jacked (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.