pricing electrics for a self build mortgage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
i have been asked by a builder friend for the above

not done one b4

all i have is floor plans no spec for the electrics

4 bed detached no garage

O.S.G suggests 35 sockets

15 lights 15 switches

2 smokes

cooker

tried the

dont forget

shower

boiler

tv

sky

bt

room stat

alarm

loft light

ext fans

outside lights

bonding

3.5 k for a 4 bed is cheap

i have been asked by a builder friend for the abovenot done one b4

all i have is floor plans no spec for the electrics

4 bed detached no garage

O.S.G suggests 35 sockets

15 lights 15 switches

2 smokes

cooker

tried the

there is only the floor plan and it is the builders own house he is doing

only got them 2nite and not spoken to him yet

i thought off the top of me head 5k start price was my gut feeling for just the basic requirements of a house

special bits on top

let the customer spec the building

I have spend ages going around with customers discussing where and wot they want only to do the spec and then they put it out to tender

had one last week I went around and done a spec and quoted on the work never heard nothing for about 2 months customer rang me up and said would I come and test the wiring . they only went and got a cheaper price and wanted me to sign it off for them. so I went and done a pir and tore it to bits it might end up costing them more.

thanks 4 the replies

i will talk to him later

i think he has forgotton to give me the spec sheet :^O

you need to also consider...bog standard white plastic...

or nice posh flush.. slimline.. no visible screws..

chrome/brass fittings etc... etc..
back to the drawing board with him then !!!!!

I think a vital thing you must keep in mind is..

during the course of the building project it is most likely there WILL be some changes!

So you need to keep these to the minimum by formally agreeing whats required as much as possible at the start..

And pointing out that alterations during the work although they are possible and you can accommodate changes to the spec....

They could be at a higher charge because of re-doing or diverting cables already installed!!

Some people don't like to pre-plan... they just want to do it as they go along..

which if your builder guy is like this could be a pain in the neck if you haven't laid out a few business ground rules!! :)

i think he wants a price to add to his building costs for the mortgage company which by not giving me a spec puts it up in the air

well i will see wot he says later

im off to the pit

cheers for the pointers

i think he wants a price to add to his building costs for the mortgage company which by not giving me a spec puts it up in the airwell i will see wot he says later

im off to the pit

cheers for the pointers
Thought you were up late!!? :^O :^O

g-night! ;) :z :z

Morning Theory

When you say he is a builder friend you should be probably more careful than if you do not know him. I did a job for two people that I would probably call friends a few months back. A PC sum had been put in for the electrics. Customer then asked for lots of extras but has now refused to pay for

Thanks Steps

spoke to him today,,all he wants was a ball park figure to put on his mortgage application

cost of electrics,plumbing etc

6k i said and that is for osg recommend number of sockets and all relevant

lights,smokes boiler etc

i said when it is ready for first fix then we need to sort out the extra spec....

as you all agree it will happen and the price will show it and will be in writing

Rewires can be hard. Rewired 1930's council house a few months back. Didn't have much work so put keen price in. Big mistake all internal walls apart from two were fletton bricks and the hardest flettons I have come across. Have had to by new vacuum cleaner and chase cutter. All a learning curve though.

Batty