Problem wiring or perfectly acceptable?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milleniumaire

Reaction score
While replacing a failed cooker extractor hood over the weekend I found some wiring that I'm not convinced is acceptable and that probably needs looking at.

In the kitchen, above the worktop there are are three sockets next to each other:

Fused Spur Switch 1 | Fused Spur Switch 2 | Double Socket 1

Underneath the worktop (just above the skirting) there is another double socket, which I'll call Double Socket 2.  This socket is used by the washing machine.

Double Socket 1 has two cables feeding into/out of it; one going to Fused Spur Switch 2, the other is the supply from the circuit (I would assume!).

Fused Spur Switch 2 has 4 cables; IN: from Double Socket 1, to Fused Spur Switch 1 and a third which I believe is to the circuit. OUT: to the boiler. This Fused Spur Switch has a 3amp fuse for the boiler.

Fused Spur Switch 1 has 3 cables; IN: from Fused Spur Switch 2 and to the extractor. OUT: To low level Double Socket 2. This Fused Spur Switch has a 13 amp fuse and because the OUT cable runs to the low level Double Socket 2 outlet, the fuse is essentially protecting the wiring from the washing machine, which is plugged into this socket using a 13 amp plug.

Double Socket 2 has a single cable from Fused Spur Switch 2.

So, it appears that the three above worktop sockets are daisy chained together, with Double Socket 1 and Fused Spur Switch 2 being connected to the circuit.

The low level Double Socket 2 outlet is a spur, connected to Fused Spur Switch 1.  Is it normal for a spur outlet to be protected by a 13 amp fused switch?  Only the washing machine is plugged into this socket and that will always be via a 13 amp plug, giving 2 x 13 amp fuses protecting the same piece of wiring?

Fused Spur Switch 2 is used for the boiler, so I understand how this is wired and why it has a 3 amp fuse.

Fused Spur Switch 1 appears to be another spur as it is tagged onto Fused Spur Switch 2.  So we have a fused spur and a double socket daisy chained, which I suspect is not acceptable.  In addition, out of Fused Spur Switch 1 runs the cable to the extractor fan, meaning the extractor fan is not connected via a 3 amp fuse, which it should be.

Any thoughts on the above wiring?  Am I correct in my assumptions that it wouldn't meet today's regulations?  Would it ever have been acceptable?  My suspicion, from talking to neighbours, is that this was done by the previous home owner as he installed his own kitchen.

What would need to be done to ensure this wiring met the current regulations?

If I’ve followed all that correctly bud then it all sounds ok. 1 twin socket and 2 FCU’s connected to a circuit whether that is a radial or ring final. 1 FCU supplying the boiler and the 2nd supplying a low level twin socket for a washing machine. Or maybe I’m lost with all the ins and outs to this and that lol. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hefferl, you are right and I've just produced a jpeg, but can't figure out how to include it in a post!!!  Not sure if this is a restriction that will be lifted after posting 10 times, similar to not being able to view images until after 10 posts?  I've looked for some info on posting images, but can't find anything.

You are correct in that there is a 10post requirement before able to post pics, it’s an anti spam protection, you could however provide a link to another picture hosting site. 

I do use Google photos, but haven't figured out how to get the "correct" URL, so that it is permanent.  I'll have another look.

Nope, even trying to insert image from URL doesn't seem to work.  I paste the URL and click the button and it does nothing!  I guess I'll need to keep posting.....

...and posting....

... my posts are being merged, so even this won't work!

Here's the wiring diagram.  Had a problem uploading the image the first time, but hopefully you can see it now.

Suspect Wiring.jpg

Hi Roys, I'm not a qualified electrician, but am keen to learn more about wiring and this has me confused.

If a fixed spur was added for fuse protection for the extractor fan and fed as it is from fixed spur 1 is that not effectively spurring from a spur?

Last edited by a moderator: