Problem with bathroom ceiling lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claude

Reaction score
Hello,

I've removed my old bathroom ceiling light, and found that there are 13 different wires coming from the ceiling.

I've no idea how to connect all of these up to a new light, so I'll need to call out an electrician.

Does this sound like an easy job?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Claude,

Welcome to the forum. 13 wires - Now there's a lot. :eek:

Would it be possible to take a photo of it and to put it on here, Please?

(If you are unsure - This explains, how to do it.

Out of curiosity - What part of the country are you in?

Regards,

Admin.

2008_0603tue0003.jpg

2008_0603tue0002.jpg

hope these pics turn out ok.

sorry for what looks like 3 similar posts ! i kept on posting a thread, but it didn't appear, so i did another one (twice). feel free to remove the other two!

thanks for such a quick reply!

You appear to have a Loop in - Loop Out, A switch drop and a 3 core and earth possibly to a fan or to two way switching. (Could be pull cord & switch out side of the bathroom?).

There will be sparks on later.

Regards,

Admin.

Yes - it's a pull cord switch.

There is a fan (with switch to have it turn on automatically with light, or not).

There is also a shaver socket (I'm not sure if this is important or not).

There is no switch outside the bathroom.

So - as I know very little about these things, I assume you would recommend that I call out a professional to look at it?

Would this be costly do you think?

Thanks.

Yes - it's a pull cord switch.

There is a fan (with switch to have it turn on automatically with light, or not).

There is also a shaver socket (I'm not sure if this is important or not).

That would explain it - Yes. :)

There is no switch outside the bathroom.

No. You have explain well - above.

So - as I know very little about these things, I assume you would recommend that I call out a professional to look at it?

If ou don't know enough / Not competent, then Yes - I would recommend you call out a spark. The reason that I asked what area was to see if there is a spark that comes on here, in your area.

Would this be costly do you think?

I wouldn't have thought so - No.

Let us know how you get on.

Claude

Well to the day shift

Did you put those labels on ???? are they marked up at all

Too far north for me

i would consider this as an 'on the way home job' doesnt seem to be a mess

looks straight forward

im sure we have guys on here local to you

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Yeah; those labels were put on by me & dad, but we're not 100% sure they're marked correctly.

I'll give it a few days to see if anyone local from here might wanna look at it, then i suppose i'll make some phone calls.

Cheers guys!

Claude:

Good photos mate.

Right - down to business:

One of the brown/blue cables is actually two brown wires, with one of them PRETENDING to be blue!! i.e. a switch wire.

The two other brown/blue should be supply in/out; although one of them MAY be the shaver point.

The remaining 3 core (brown/black/grey) is likely to be the fan, and/or the shaver point.

Fairly easy to determine which is which, and re-connect.

Wouldn`t expect more than 1 hour - HTH

KME

Very easy mate, depending on what connections your light has? most bathroom stylee fittings dont have a connection for permanent live, sooooo.......

ALL Browns in a piece of chocky block (Terminal strip, Call it what you will, etc)

The Black and Blue with the brown sleeve over go it the switch live (normally just L)

The Earths (green & yellow sleeved) to the earth connection (bit obvious)

The rest to neutral (normally labelled N)

Hope This helps, ADMIN delete if we shouldn't giving this info and let me know.

p.s. Dont kill yourself! If you do, it's nowt to do with me (<<--disclaimer lol)

Very easy mate, depending on what connections your light has? most bathroom stylee fittings dont have a connection for permanent live, sooooo.......ALL Browns in a piece of chocky block (Terminal strip, Call it what you will, etc)

The Black and Blue with the brown sleeve over go it the switch live (normally just L)

The Earths (green & yellow sleeved) to the earth connection (bit obvious)

The rest to neutral (normally labelled N)

Hope This helps, ADMIN delete if we shouldn't giving this info and let me know.

p.s. Dont kill yourself! If you do, it's nowt to do with me (<<--disclaimer lol)
And the GREY one Barx??

NOTE: the black could be & should be Neutral. Do NOT rely on anything anyone "suppose" by looking at a photo - it MUST be tested to ascertain correct wiring.

OP isn't cofident on electrics - I would suggest a spark.

We are waiting for Notsspark to see if he is near OP (Or any other spark for that matter). :)

KME, the grey falls under 'The rest' ;) used as a neutral in 3 core. Just using elimination, Brown perm live, black is sleeved brown so should be switched live, that leaves neutral. Obviously it 'should' be tested to 100% but that could be said for any light fitting change, etc. Chances are, as previously mentioned, 1 twin will be loop in, 1 twin will be either loop out or shaver socket (same difference unless you only shave with the light on, lol) 1 twin will be switch wire and 3 core will be for fan. If I am honest (and shoot me as you will) if I turned up to this job I would wire it up as I stated without even bothering to test first.

Wire up, Test all is well, amend as required.

Afterall he still has the option to get a spark in.

Evening all.....

Just my thoughts.....i was always lead to believe that in 3 core the black should never be marked up as neutral, as the black is, in effect the 'yellow' from the old cable colours and thus a switched live.......but as with many practices it does vary from region to region....

Well, although there are no specific regs to state what colour is used for what - it is upto the indivual spark on what colour h e uses for what.

I was told to use the Brown as Live, Grey - sleeved brown/ Live or Sleeved Blue/Neutral and to sleeve the Black Green/Yellow for Earth.

I was told the reason for this is that Neutrals should not be associated with the old colour Black. (what difference that makes when it is sleeved Blue - I don't know).

there really is no room for individual practices/favouritism on this subject guys,

peoples lives are at risk if this isnt done right.

L1 red/brown phase

L2 yellow/black SW,(or E in swa)

L3 blue/grey Neutral

this is a worldwide used compatiblity issue.

why oh why do UK sparks have to try and do their own little thing.

did you used to sleeve the yellow in black for a N too.?

and use the blue for a SW or Earth.?

Well, although there are no specific regs to state what colour is used for what - it is upto the indivual spark on what colour h e uses for what.I was told to use the Brown as Live, Grey - sleeved brown/ Live or Sleeved Blue/Neutral and to sleeve the Black Green/Yellow for Earth.

I was told the reason for this is that Neutrals should not be associated with the old colour Black. (what difference that makes when it is sleeved Blue - I don't know).
very good point admin,

but then again there arent really that many regs at all that you have to comply with,

except REG16, and to use a black sleeved blue I would be of the opinion wouldnt comply.

Well, although there are no specific regs to state what colour is used for what - it is upto the indivual spark on what colour h e uses for what.I was told to use the Brown as Live, Grey - sleeved brown/ Live or Sleeved Blue/Neutral and to sleeve the Black Green/Yellow for Earth.

very good point admin,but then again there arent really that many regs at all that you have to comply with,

except REG16, and to use a black sleeved blue I would be of the opinion wouldnt comply.
Although I haven`t got it by my side, and TBH if I had I probably couldn`t focus on it; I believe that there is something in either 7671 or OSG; which refers to which core to use. Though I must admit to preferring a black sleeved Blue, to a black sleeved g/y. Seems to make more sense, logically.

Point is; AS LONG AS THEY`RE SLEEVED, it complies AFAIK.

Correct me if I`m wrong.....................????