Problem with BRK smoke detectors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuelec

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a very strange thing going on with a standard domestic set up of 1 heat detector in the kitchen & 3 smokes (1 on each level). All mains with mattery back up. Installed a new heat detector in the kitchen to interlink with the existing BRK smokes. All ok at first then after a few days alarms would randomly sound. The property is undergoing a partial refurb & i guessed they had become damaged from the dust. so i replaced for a new set. connected up & before switch on, push test operating ok with all alarms sounding. As soon as the power is switched on the alarms sound off. Next i carried out the usual tests on the wiring, all ok with no shorts or crosswires. next i spotted a flourescent on the same circuit, disconnected it but did not solve the issue. really scratching my head now trying absolutely everything Removing alarms 1 at a time, swapping around etc, even insulation resistance on the short connectors which plug into the back of the alarms. Finally i removed all the alarms & replicated the circuit on the floor with a short lead on a 13 amp plug, connected the alarms & plugged in BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP. Anyone else had a similar problem with BRK? I normally always use Aico for ease of installation, only used BRK this time to match the existing. On their own each alarm seems to operate as it should but when conected to the others the problem starts. My next step will be to swap them all to aico at my own cost but thought i would ask on the forum 1st.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated

There are two things that I would immediately check, first would be the battery back up status, and secondly if dust has gone into any of the system a visual check and shake will not clear the problem. Damaged slide connections and the like can also have an effect. Given the description of the faults and because of the works carried out whilst they have been left in situation I would swap them for new units as a matter of course, simply because in my view they have been abused by not being protected during the said works. Why would replacement be at your own cost? Any detection devise has very sensitive electronics that are very easily damaged.

Manator

Thanks for your reply, apologies if you misunderstood, i did replace all the alarms for a new set as mentioned in my post, Replacing again for a new set of aico alarms would be at my own cost because i cannot charge twice, i did explain to the customer that the original alarms were probably damaged as a result of the dust from the works & he agreed thatv i should replace, but the problem persists

Sorry I did miss that,the only thing I can realistically come up with is interference, the ongoing works being the major concern, followed by any capacitance in the circuit, I am not familiar with domestic smoke systems I should imagine those installers will see this post and offer some insight into your problem. Aico are a good brand though, I have never heard of BRK, do they look cheap? or are they well made? Are the smokes on a dedicated circuit or linked to the downstairs lighting circuit? Are there any transformers on the circuit? All and any answers to these questions can help in giving a possible solution.

BRK were used at a charity that I do work for. They had an office install by an outside company and the idjuds fitted an emergency light very close to the smoke detector on the landing. I replaced the smokes as they were over ten years old but this problem with them going off now and then still happened. I ended up moving smoke so it was far enough away from emergency light and have not heard anymore so hopefully it has solved problem. How old are the smokes and are any lights to close to them.

Problem solved by replacing all alarms for aico models. I wont be using BRK again, even their technical helpline offered no idea's!

Thank you for the update, our members will have learned a very good lesson from your example, quality of products, and a helpful help line is all we could ever ask from any manufacturer.