Problem with chinese colour coding of motor leads

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradscopegems

Reaction score
I am trying to salvage and use a nice-looking squirrel-cage-type AC motor marked 230v 50 Hz from my bread-maker, which is kaput, but I think the motor is OK.  It has three wires attached to it: one red, one white and one black.  A capacitor with a red and a black wire is connected to the wires of the same colour on the motor. The capacitor is marked 4 microfarads 450v 50/60 Hz. How should I connect my UK single phase supply,  brown, blue and yellow/green earth to this motor?  I am a retired medical research worker who has expertise in  optics, but I am a beginner in electronics.  I tried to include this information in my profile, but a message came up: 'You not allowed to edit this profile'.  So I have included this information here instead.

Apologies:  in the above post I made a mistake.  The capacitor's red lead is connected to the red lead to the motor, as stated, but the black lead of the capacitor goes to the white lead on the motor.

Brad.

Without actually having the motor to hand we need more info as to the motor type, was it speed controlled or is it wired for different speeds. Pure speculation that this may be a permanent split motor with the black from the motor connecting to the ends of the start and run windings, the white and red from the motor are the other ends of these windings connected to the capacitor. To be honest without knowing the exact motor type it is pure guesswork however basic single phase single capacitor motors follow the same principle. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts