problem with no lighting uostairs.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyboy

Reaction score
Hi, wife came home last night when to turn upstair switch on and the circuit breaker blew. Told her would reset it in the morn. I reset it but now its on the lights still dont come back on. put my volt meter to the ustairs light when mcb and light swithc is off I get a reading of 5 volts between L/cpc, 5 volts L/N & 5 volts between N/cpc. With the mcb still off but the switch sturned on i get 16 volts between all of them? Can any when help. I'm in my 2nd year of my 2330 and would like to solve it without calling in a electrician. Thanks, Dave.

Check if voltage is coming out top of circuit breaker. I have replaced a couple when they have gone faulty.

Batty

And welcome to the forum Davy.

as I was testing it the lights came on. With the mcb off I got a reading of 5volts between live/cpc and now the mcb is working and lights are back on i'm getting a reading of 222 volts between live/cpc. is this right?

Thanks

as I was testing it the lights came on. With the mcb off I got a reading of 5volts between live/cpc and now the mcb is working and lights are back on i'm getting a reading of 222 volts between live/cpc. is this right?Thanks
Welcome dave

just because the light has now come back on. Sounds like a possible loose connection.

Macca

Guiness Drink

Welcome to the forum Dave , sounds like the MCB to me, I've had a few faulty too.

It may have builders' dust inside it , have you been doing any work around the board , plastering etc.

Deke