Problematic Pv Array, Pulling Energy Off Nat Grid.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canoeboy said:
Can you take some photos of the meters you have ?
Don't have dropbox or the likes - is there not an option to upload a photo from HDD, rather than using URL?

This is the manual I read like...

https://www.solartradesales.co.uk/downloads/products/L_and_G_5235_User_ManualBrochure_info.pdf

Same model, different manufacturer stamp. They all share anyways

Something I noted in those notes Barx - T means it is totalling the import and export readings!  R means reverse reading - export.

Will be talking to Power NI tomorrow again, to make sure that they have not been billing me for the total readings!

Pic of my meter.

If I'm reading the text that was put up earlier, then it seems Power NI have been charging me for the 'T' Total readings.

Take off the 500 odd exported from the 1700 odd imported, and the figures start to look a lot better.

1200 kW at 17.18p per kW = £216.  Thats before discount, and other tariff discounts, so not so bad after all.

Now I just have to try and convince Power NI that they have been overcharging me.

20150603_113354resizecrop.jpg

Something I noted in those notes Barx - T means it is totalling the import and export readings!  R means reverse reading - export.

Will be talking to Power NI tomorrow again, to make sure that they have not been billing me for the total readings!
that is an an odd configuration for that meter, but billing for total sounds about right if meter reader doesn't know the difference.

if life gets difficult, I'll ask a customer of mine how to read the LED pulses. He is a total geek (lovelly bloke but loses me after 30 secs sometimes) and apparently the led when it flashes transmits lots of info if you know how to read it, which he does....

I've also checked some readings from today.

Enphase system says that the panels have generated 15kW today - not great - but not bad.

Checked against the generation meter, and it's not far off really.

Then went and checked import export meter.

readings earlier (9am) were t-1767 and r-507  T=import R = export from Solar PV array.

Reading now (18:20) are t - 1768 and r 515.

So - I'm figuring this means that the meter is not reading both export and import as one, and is able to register the flow direction, and meter it each way.
According to that, the t reading is your IMPORT power and NOT the total power.

Pic of my meter.

If I'm reading the text that was put up earlier, then it seems Power NI have been charging me for the 'T' Total readings.

Take off the 500 odd exported from the 1700 odd imported, and the figures start to look a lot better.

1200 kW at 17.18p per kW = £216.  Thats before discount, and other tariff discounts, so not so bad after all.

Now I just have to try and convince Power NI that they have been overcharging me.
The t is NOT the total power as proved above, it is the import power.

So if they are billing you on the t reading then they are billing you correctly.

Update.

Had NIE call, and we discussed usage.  First thing he asks is do I have Solar iBoost fitted to the thermal store.  I do.   He then asks if I turned the clamp round - was fitted wrong way round previously - I said i had.  Fella from NIE says that was the problem.  He even could tell me when I turned the clamp round - 6th May - day after I got back from offshore.

He's says he's had previous problems with Solar iBoost systems pulling energy off the Nat Grid.  My energy usage went from 30kW a day down to 15 or less kW daily.

So I take this to the installer - he doesn't quibble at all.  I'm not asking for the full £800 bill, but £350 after working out what 15kW per day was at Power NI rates.  He's even gone better and said he would pay half - £400.

Also got a reply back from OWL.  They said that some clamps may escape their rigorous quality checks, and that is why they asked me to monitor the meters for a few days.

The Enphase, OWL and Generation meter all read roughly the same - Generation meter taking precedence, and enphase and OWL used as monitoring tools not as accurate calibrated measuring tools.  They are handy though, as they are under reading very slightly - which is better than over-reading.

Solar PV array is working well, and in this fine weather are exporting 66-75% of our generation.

NIE also confirmed that the import/export meter is set so that the T reading is import only, and R is export only.

So all in all - problem should be resolved now.

Thanks again for the help and info that other forum members have provided.

If anything - it has given me a better understanding of the systems in use, and finally never to assume things are correct just because they work after a fashion.

Yes whoever installed your iboost messed it up so the more power you were importing, the more it was dumping to water.

Hopefully it's all sorted now.

Latest posts