Programmable Room Thermostats

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, have been looking at Heatmiser PRT which switces hot water as well heating. I'm fitting controls to 'basic' worcester combi boiler as part of S plan system. Question is, do I need traditional programmable control aswell as PRT?? From what I can see the PRT combines both functions ergo no need for both???? Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Hi, have been looking at Heatmiser PRT which switces hot water as well heating. I'm fitting controls to 'basic' worcester combi boiler as part of S plan system. Question is, do I need traditional programmable control aswell as PRT?? From what I can see the PRT combines both functions ergo no need for both???? Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.
You are correct, AFAIK, in thinking that the PRT contains a seperate timer system for the DHW. Are you meaning that you`ve got a combi AND an indirect cylinder? If not, you don`t want or need to control the DHW. The combi`ll do that itself!

If you are using with a cylinder; then also consider a tank stat m8.

More info`d be good. Then I might post the details of my boiler system. Some people`ll love it, others`ll be rather confused.

Yep its a combi boiler with seperate hot water tank on an S plan, the tank being supplied by the boiler, (with back up immersion). Since posting I have studied the boiler manual, and it seems most things (such as tank stat)wire direct to tit leaving a single switch live to turn boiler on and off via PRT. I'm just not very familiar with boiler controls and equipment, but I think I'm close to getting it sorted. I would be interested to see your system KME, and if I get time I'll post my wiring sketch soon.

A bit off thread but why would a cylinder be installed with a combi boiler?

Cos they like to have a hot bath on the same day they run one?

Combi`s are notorious for having issues with a hot bath of water - generally flow rate has to be WAYYYYYYY down to get decent hot water. installing a tank (esp. in larger property) (ESP unvented cylinder) makes a lot of sense!

Cos they like to have a hot bath on the same day they run one?Combi`s are notorious for having issues with a hot bath of water - generally flow rate has to be WAYYYYYYY down to get decent hot water. installing a tank (esp. in larger property) (ESP unvented cylinder) makes a lot of sense!
Does that not depend on how deep u want yr bath ????

10 mins i think i wait to get enough hot water then top up with the hot/cold until it gets to the right temp for me to sit in it

the showers are what i have,,,with upto 6 people in the house i know i will get a hot shower.

Ivr just had a Broag Remaha combi fitted and it has a great Flow rate, does a great bath full in no time

My My - swallowed a dictionary, have we, old chap.

:D

ere what's going on - I thought my thread had died days ago:O

In answer to your question the customer is having 2 thermostatic showers, and storage tank is to ensure a good flow of water to both of them, which in turn allows a for smaller more economic combi boiler, although you have to wonder how a tank of hot water is more efficient? :| It wasn't my idea, it was the plumbers:D

In answer to your question the customer is having 2 thermostatic showers, and storage tank is to ensure a good flow of water to both of them, which in turn allows a for smaller more economic combi boiler, although you have to wonder how a tank of hot water is more efficient? :| It wasn't my idea, it was the plumbers:D
I thought the modern condensing combi boilers automatically adjusted themselves to the size and number of the radiators. And you bought a oversized kW model to provide the flow to make sure the showers ran hot enough? Heating a tank of water just for showers doesn't sound very efficient to me....

But what would I know. I'm not a plumber.......

THANK THE LORD!

I mean they bend copper pipe, I bend steel conduit. It's not hard to use a blow torch or do up a compression fitting (and a monkey can push-fit). And there isn't much difference between laying cable and laying copper pipe! You still need to get the floorboards up or knock through ceilings and floors. :^O

I thought the modern condensing combi boilers automatically adjusted themselves to the size and number of the radiators. And you bought a oversized kW model to provide the flow to make sure the showers ran hot enough? Heating a tank of water just for showers doesn't sound very efficient to me....But what would I know. I'm not a plumber.......
Wont there be more of a requirement for cylinders with properties that opt for solar heated water systems??

I know I had to wire a back-up immersion heater supply to a house with solar & boiler arrangment...

They were still waiting for Gas supply so need the imm heater to back up the solar..

I think the solar was getting 35 or 45 degrees of hot water even when cloudy??

which wasn't bad.... mind you it had cost a few grand.... so it will take a few years to pay off!

but then tis green? & the way fuel prices are going? ?:|

Wont there be more of a requirement for cylinders with properties that opt for solar heated water systems??
I thought that an extra small tank was used, and there was a clever feed into the combi supply?

I thought that an extra small tank was used, and there was a clever feed into the combi supply?
Not as far as I`m aware m8. They supply a cylinder with twin coils. One from condensing system OR combi (via zone valve), and one to pre-heat water from solar.

Mind you, I could be behind the times!!! Wouldn`t be the first itme:O:(

They supply a cylinder with twin coils. One from condensing system OR combi (via zone valve), and one to pre-heat water from solar.(
If the plumber was thinking ahead to solar and fitting a tank suitable for this, then it would be a good idea, but I tend to feel that 'overselling' is more appropriate in this case, and a few others I've seen recently. Maybr that's why his van is better than mine? :| :^ O:^O