Protecting working ventilation fan during DIY regrouting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pazzer

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of regrouting the area around my bath and have a question about protecting the centrifugal ventilator fan (a Vortice 'Ariett') mounted on the bathroom ceiling.

The fan is wired to the lighting such that if the light is on - as it must be while I'm working - then the ventilator is also on. If I do nothing to protect it, the fan is going to suck up copious amounts of dust while I grind out the the old grout. (In fact this is exactly what happened earlier this week as I attemped the first section of the regrouting.) I want to prevent this from happening (again) and was wondering if the most obvious solution - covering it completely with a plastic bag, and taping the edges of the bag to the ceiling - is safe and effective? If not, can anyone advise on how else I can keep the fan safe in very dusty environment?

Thanks for the response. 

I have no idea where the isolator is. There's nothing on the fan itself, and the only way I've managed to turn the fan off so far is to go to the main fuse box and turn off the switch labelled 'lights' - which of course means the bathroom light doesn't work either. Is it possible that there is no isolator switch specifically for the fan? If not, where might it be?

Many electricians have the mindset that fans don't need an isolator switch....

so they are often omitted..

personally I always include one somewhere in the wiring..

as during the lifetime of the fan it is probable you need to isolate it for numerous reasons..

and/or to replace it!

You may have to locate the wiring and physically disconnect a cable...   

( Many fan manufactures instructions do also say they should have a 3A fused-spur on the supply side. )

:coffee

I never fit them (and often remove them) in rental properties, to stop the tenant turning the fan off because it is noisy, and then complaining about the condensation and mould.

If there is no isolator then with the power off, disconnect inside the fan and make safe for the duration of the work.