Providing Electric to Shed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmilner

Reaction score
Hi all, i am not an electrician, and wondered if you could offer some advice.

I have seen posts on this topic but none seem to answer my queries in full, hence my post. Actually i found this forum through googling the topic in hand and thought, hey, giving i am going to be training as an electrician starting sept this may be a good place to hang out and ask questions etc.

We have just had an extension done on our house, single storey across the back, basically a bigger kitchen and diner. We are at a stage where the 1st fix has been done by the sparky and we are waiting for the plasterer. And when i say wait, i mean WAIT. its been ages now, but thats a different story.

So part of the project is to landscape the garden, which i am doing. Of which i am getting a bigger shed(currently have one) and want to run electricity to it. I mentioned this to the sparky doing our work but at the time he alluded to simply spurring off a socket, out the wall and it was as vague as that. To be fair i said it was an idea and not a requirement at the time. I just wondered how it would be done and where cables would run from. i.e would a cable to be run from the main fuse box. He didnt mention this at all.

My requirement is to have a double socket where we would run a tumble dryer off and a socket there should we need to plug in stuff like mowers etc, maybe a 240V drill? who knows. Oh and a light. thats it, no fancy garden lights, hot tubs, showers, freezers etc, just keeping it simple.

Now, i am in the middle of landscaping and need to crack on with the foundations for the patio etc. At the rate the plasterer is moving i could well have this all done before the sparky comes back for the 2nd fix etc.

I would like to dig the trench and run a cable etc so that i can get on with the patio. Then the sparky could connect up at a later date. I tried to call the sparky to run this by him but he may be away on holiday, either way he hasnt got back to me.

So to be clear, this cable run is going under a slate patio. From the back of the house(which is where the socket is that i am told we can spur off) to the shed its about 3 metres. Not going far. Not running much.

Are their regs to how deep this trench has to be? i read that its 600mm down(backfill), Electric Tile, 300mm of sand, Armoured cable, then more sand. Does this sound right?

Should i call building regs and they check my work or is taking photos so the spark can see what i have done going to be ok?

What cable am i looking at getting?

I assume i run some galvanised conduit up the vertical sections on each end of the run? then i would bundle the cable up and protect from the weather, while i wait for the spark to connect up each end and do it magic.

I appreciate i am new here and i am asking lots of questions, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mad M 

Personally I would want to run a SWA (steel wire armoured) cable from the consumer unitall the way to the shed. Do you really want to take the ground floor power out if you get a problem in the shed? Separate circuit and a 2 way garage consumer with lighting and power. As your spark is signing off he should be advising you on size of cable and run etc and if he is happy for you to run this cable.

Personally I would want to run a SWA (steel wire armoured) cable from the consumer unitall the way to the shed. Do you really want to take the ground floor power out if you get a problem in the shed? Separate circuit and a 2 way garage consumer with lighting and power. As your spark is signing off he should be advising you on size of cable and run etc and if he is happy for you to run this cable.

Ive already done this in the 'other' thread