ps3 network

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky999

Reaction score
All i have for my broadband is a usb cable into a box then a single phone cable into my adsl into the phone point.

So for me to network i will have to buy a router for my usb to plug into that then my router will be live and then run an ethernet cable to my ps3 from the route to start to play online which i think is right.

If not please explain and also what would you recommend for a good router to do this cheers.

All i have for my broadband is a usb cable into a box then a single phone cable into my adsl into the phone point. So for me to network i will have to buy a router for my usb to plug into that then my router will be live and then run an ethernet cable to my ps3 from the route to start to play online which i think is right.

If not please explain and also what would you recommend for a good router to do this cheers.
I presume at the moment you have a USB powered ADSL modem,

which will become surplus to requirement because I think all you will probably need is a reasonable wireless router.

been a while since I checked spec's etc.. when I bought mine..

but I think most wireless routers include the ADSL modem..

and have a few RJ45 ports on the back to allow 'wired' or 'Wireless' connection.

you have to program some setting first into the router

(with it connected directly into the back of a PC with an RJ45 patch lead)

i.e. to give the network a name & password that your devices can access,

but bar others with local wireless kit from piggy-backing your network.

So the router just plugs into the phone line..

your wired or wireless devices access the broadband via the router.

For example..

at our house we have a wireless router.

My PC has a wired connection plugged into one of the four slots in the back of it.

We then have either two (or three, when my eldest comes back from Uni) PC's also connecting via wireless cards..

and my youngest lad can also connect his PSP though its wireless link

just to show my ignorance..

Does the PS3 have a wireless card or a RJ45 socket??

if so.. should be no problem! :)

Who is your ISP..

sometimes they have particular recommend kit for routers??

that run the broadband side of the link better without locking up!

Other than that its a matter of checking the spec of each one..

the more expensive ones often have better range and signal strength for the wireless connections.

Pros & cons higher signal strength better signal for you..

but also your neighbours.. if you don't enable the routers security setting!

P.S.

The little ADSL adaptor that plugs into your phone socket is just a filter arrangement to stop you hearing the data when you are on the phone!

i bought a 40gb ps3 which has not be made for wireless and it only has a rj45 outlet so i will have to get a lead and run it from my router and then happy days.

yeah i know all about that password protection as i've heard alot about people hacking on and its happened at where i work.

cheers special loacation.

i bought a 40gb ps3 which has not be made for wireless and it only has a rj45 outlet so i will have to get a lead and run it from my router and then happy days.yeah i know all about that password protection as i've heard alot about people hacking on and its happened at where i work.

cheers special loacation.
you can get a wireless dongle for it, similar to the ones you get for USB.

my wireless router (cable) cost me

Who is your broadband supplier sparky999?
tesco broadband welshy.

im using a thomson speedtouch 330 at the moment and iv looked on there website this afternoon and found a thomson speedtouch 585 v6 which looks the job with 4 ports.

i have the older version of this

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139105

remember tho you will need one with a modem,

im on cable.

you will get something here for decent price im sure,

oh, i can also hard wire 4 things(?)(cant think of the word, :| ) to my router.

Im sure most routers are similar to be able to hard wire as well as wireless.

tesco broadband welshy.im using a thomson speedtouch 330 at the moment and iv looked on there website this afternoon and found a thomson speedtouch 585 v6 which looks the job with 4 ports.
I assume thats a modem ,

if so then a cable router will do you just fine, does it have RJ45 out port?

no point in going for all these fancy things, get a cheap and cheerful one, esp if you only need the extra hard wired ports,

although my wireless is secure and works over(at least) about 30m to my sister in laws garage if i take my lappy there.!

I assume thats a modem , if so then a cable router will do you just fine, does it have RJ45 out port?

no point in going for all these fancy things, get a cheap and cheerful one, esp if you only need the extra hard wired ports,

although my wireless is secure and works over(at least) about 30m to my sister in laws garage if i take my lappy there.!
yeah on there website this thomson 585 router will work fine as an upgrade to the one i have its only