Put myself in a right situation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't have created this situation in the first place, nor should I be telling you about it. But I needed to vent a bit.

I was asked by a neighbour if I could do their electrics for their new extension as builders were letting them down in this area. I'm not reg'd with NIC or NAPIT, etc as I work for somebody, then we as a team sub out. But I went to look anyways. Nice steady job, few new circuits, full bonding, board changing, smokes, etc. They wanted me to do it as they trust me and wanted it doing right. After a little chat with the gaffer (who is NAPIT reg'd and a close friend) he said if I do it and carry out test he will give the cert a supervisors signature and process it through NAPIT to notify. Condition was that we used the job as a 'inspection' job for NAPIT as we hadn't done much private anyway. Ok'd this with the neighbour and got on with 1st fix. That was a few months ago and finally completed 2nd fix and tested it last week (slow builders) only to find out that the gaffer let the NAPIT lapse last month as we hadn't done much private and didn't see us doing any in near future. He completely forgot my job. Now I'm ******** as I can't notify the job.

He apologised greatly and said that i could do the notification straight to building control for

Not thought of that, could easily get away with it. Would NAPIT still accept this like? Not sure how it all works. I personally have never been reg'd. If you recon they will, I will get him to ring up on tues to enquire.

AFAIK nic allows 28 days before part P notification, although TBH I have put some stuff thru thats over this, guys at work not handing certs in or losing them in the van somewhere for weeks.

not had any probs yet.

the way I understand it is if building control are satisfied you have tested to the regs(part P etc) then they wont come out to inspect.

in any case i think ur gaffer is right, its not really a fortune to notify yourself, just sometimes the added hassle of an inspector coming out.

BUT,

if you do notify them urself and show that you are/were NAPIT reg when you carried out the work then I dont honestly think you will have any hassle.

You should be able to back date it m8. I have a colleague who had a somilar issue; but it went through. Give it a go. If it fails, come back here, and we`ll see what else we can come up with.

We have to work together. The system`ll drown us otherwise!

Hi Barx..Here's my thoughts one the various points raised so far on this thread:-

1) Re back dating certificates... I would be careful of back dating a certificate if it is to a date before the building works were completed? Cuz I assume the LABC will have to sign off the building works..

If anyone did check the electric certificate and found that it was theoretically done before ceilings and roofs were finished then ???? well who knows??

2) I assume you are a qualified spark with you C&G's.. competent to do the work test the work and complete an EIC?

If so then all you need the LABC is to confirm compliance with building regs as you can provide compliance with BS7671! with your EIC.

3) our local council has a sliding scale of charges.. as follows;

works carried out by competent electrician but not registered to self cert..

Cheers for that Spesh

ill send it to them and see what they say

i feel a mission coming on ...... ]:) ] :) ]:) ] :)

wheres my MP X(X( X(

Cheers for that Speshill send it to them and see what they say

i feel a mission coming on ...... ]:) ] :) ]:) ] :)

wheres my MP X(X( X(
I dunno??? ?:|

I haven't been anywhere near your MP! X(

Mind you that's a bit negligent on your part...

loosing "A WHOLE MP"...

quite a big thing to mislay me thinks?? ; \

I could undertstand... where's my car keys?.. where's my coat?...

where's my pliers?... where's my wallet?...

But where's my MP??!!! :eek: :O:O] :)

when you find him/or her I suggest you lock in your shed or garage or summit! :^O :^O

good evenin Theory!! :D :D

Evening Spesh

not been told yet what my betime is tonight

got a long day 2 morrow :( :(