putting up scaffolding with cordless impact drivers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_the_rich

Sock Muncher
Reaction score
I saw some scaffolders putting up scaffolding with cordless impact drivers yesterday and I wasn't very impressed tbh. Traditional steel tubes and fittings. One guy was putting in a cross member using a magnetic level, he tightened the fitting with the driver, adjusted the pole, then "tightened" it again, adjusted it again and finally "tightened" it again. Surely it was using the same torque all three times? So can't be much tighter than the first time it was tightened. I didn't see them going around with a socket spanner testing them by hand. Is this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depend on the drill , some of those cordless drills , like Snap On , have adjustable torque settings.

I would like the 'nip' on though . If it was the likes of the one I have described it will be tight though.

the torque would have had to have been adjusted one-handed, as the other hand was holding the tube.

It was yellow and looked a bit like a dewalt, small battery. I don't use impact drivers but it just reminded me of when you hear someone using a cordless screwdriver and they've stripped the head of the screw. no amount of pressing the trigger will get the screw further in, but they carry on doing it.

the impact may be capable of a certain torque, but that doesnt mean its always applying that torque. you could easily put the bolt tight enough to hold it in place, then adjust then tighten more without changing any settings

I think the assumption is its an impact driver it's got to be tightened enough.

Me... I love my impact driver & take it everywhere with me, mowing the lawn? IMPACT DRIVER! Taking the bins out? IMPACT DRIVER! Repairing small items of electronic equipment? IMPACT DRIVER!

:animal:

the impact may be capable of a certain torque, but that doesnt mean its always applying that torque. you could easily put the bolt tight enough to hold it in place, then adjust then tighten more without changing any settings
They are amazing to be honest . I once had a crankshaft pulley bolt that I just could not get out .( Mates timing belt snapped at his home)  Even with standing on the (I know) meter long power bar ,lowest gear and mate with foot on the brake .

I went and got the Snap On impact wrench from the workshop and it came out effortlessly.It did not even hesitate.

Latest posts