Puzzle: I switched circuit breaker off briefly, and now it trips.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinks

Reaction score
Hullo,
Bit of a puzzle here, I hope no one minds me asking for advice.
The fuse box in my flat has always been fine. Today I tested it, and while doing so I switched off the circuit breaker, left it for a short while, then switched it back on again. When I tried to switch it back on it tripped immediately. Testing the other switches, I found that it stays on except when the lights circuit is on, in which case it trips immediately. All the lights in the flat, and the bathroom fan which is also connected to the lights circuit, are off. I switched everything off before testing the breaker. No issue existed before I switched the breaker off and on again.
Before I call my landlord to apologise profusely for whatever I did and request an electrician, can anyone suggest why this might have happened and whether I might be able to do anything about it? Surely this is not an actual electrical fault, as it seems unlikely that one can have developed in the short period of time between me switching the breaker off and on again?!
Thanks!

I think its possible with  RCDs  to go "Dormant"   when  never tested  .     I guess you pressed the test button  but now its "woken" up and is sensing a fault  on your lighting .  

Have you replaced any light fittings while you've been there .   ?      Is there an outside light  full of water ?  

RCD could be over sensitive  or there IS a fault with the lights . 

As Dave said , if you report it don't mention you tried the test button   , although thats what its there for .  

I think its possible with  RCDs  to go "Dormant"   when  never tested  .     I guess you pressed the test button  but now its "woken" up and is sensing a fault  on your lighting .  

Have you replaced any light fittings while you've been there .   ?      Is there an outside light  full of water ?  

RCD could be over sensitive  or there IS a fault with the lights . 

As Dave said , if you report it don't mention you tried the test button   , although thats what its there for .  

This sounds like it could be the reason, though there have been no changes to any lights, and the outside light looks fine (it may not necessarily be).

I'll follow the advice, thanks!

As Evans Electric said above, if RCDs are not 'exercised' regularly they can stick a bit. Its the reason there is ( or should be) a notice on your fuseboard that advises the RCD should be checked/tested/ have its button pressed quarterly. Its sound advice.

if you report it don't mention you tried the test button

I disagree. It's irresponsible not to press the test button every six months (e.g. when the clocks change). The landlord certainly can't penalise you for doing that. In fact they should be instructing tenants to make sure that they do it.

I disagree. It's irresponsible not to press the test button every six months (e.g. when the clocks change). The landlord certainly can't penalise you for doing that. In fact they should be instructing tenants to make sure that they do it.

I disagree with that

How many of us, let alone homeowners, tenants or landlords actually do this?

Not many I suspect

Of course  I'm NOT saying do not use the test button ,  I'm saying do not give the landlord  the option to  blame you for the fault .     Some landlords are not the nicest people in the world .      

Of course  I'm NOT saying do not use the test button ,  I'm saying do not give the landlord  the option to  blame you for the fault .     Some landlords are not the nicest people in the world .      
I understand that, but was just pointing out that they wouldn't be able to get away with such a nonsensical claim. As long as a tenant had the gumption to challenge and pursue them for it then they would come out on top. I completely agree that many landlords are unsuitable for the role. (That said, there are some excellent landlords out there too.)

I disagree with that

How many of us, let alone homeowners, tenants or landlords actually do this?

Not many I suspect
I do it.

But really that's besides the point.

We know that it is important that it is done, and therefore I stand by my claim that it's irresponsible not to do it. (If it's as a result of ignorance then we must educate people about the importance.)

look at it another way. what if they pressed the test button on the smoke alarm and it didnt work? should they be keeping quiet because they shouldnt have tested it?

And there are those who ignore the dates on smoke alarms and don't believe they need to be changed

How ever you look at these situations, just because its written down somewhere, or on a label doesn't mean it'll happen .......

We know that it is important that it is done, and therefore I stand by my claim that it's irresponsible not to do it. (If it's as a result of ignorance then we must educate people about the importance.)

Hum and there s a massive flaw in that idea - so many people don't come into contact with knowledgeable sparks, and many of those who do either aren't interested or don't listen.

Its the reality of the times we live in ............... 

I do my best, I'm sure most people on here do their best, but so many don't and that's why so many things go wrong.

Maybe the BEAMA members should club together and run some adverts on TV to educate people .............

PS I haven't tested my RCBO's ever - I've switched a few off for maintenance but never done regular testing - oops

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum and there s a massive flaw in that idea - so many people don't come into contact with knowledgeable sparks, and many of those who do either aren't interested or don't listen.

Its the reality of the times we live in ............... 

I do my best, I'm sure most people on here do their best, but so many don't and that's why so many things go wrong.

Maybe the BEAMA members should club together and run some adverts on TV to educate people .............

PS I haven't tested my RCBO's ever - I've switched a few off for maintenance but never done regular testing - oops
I know in Ireland there were TV ads run at one time (years and years ago) about testing RCDs with the test button, so yes it's certainly a reasonable idea. That's not to suggest that I believe that it's likely that such an ad campaign will be started. I suppose the Electrical Safety Council might be a reasonable body to do it (or the NICEIC - but I believe campaigning really is within the ESC's remit nowadays).

Last edited by a moderator:
I do test my RCDs occasionally, but with reluctance because resetting our several digital clocks is a PIA, apart from hoping the internet router will recycle correctly, and that Alexa will still be in touch with her various slaves!  

I did develop a new test last week, involving a well carbonised raisin detached from a hot cross bun in the toaster.