PVC-cables protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ichinen

Reaction score
Hi,

Do I need to cover the cables if they are going to be filled inside of a bricks wall? What's the mean of the PVC cables cover?

Thanx.

same answer as your other post probably answers most of this..

Safe Zones..Vertical & horizontal in line with socket/Switch/Accessory.

150mm from ceiling.

150mm from corner of formed by two walls

Page 60 On-Site-guide. part 7.3.2

Or big red book Reg 522.6.6

should give you the answers.

Hi, Do I need to cover the cables if they are going to be filled inside of a bricks wall? What's the mean of the PVC cables cover?

Thanx.
I'm guessing that you mean PVC capping?

If so, capping is used to protect the chased cables from the plasterers trowel. If you are filling the chases yourself (and are careful about it!) then you don't really need it.

I'm guessing that you mean PVC capping?If so, capping is used to protect the chased cables from the plasterers trowel. If you are filling the chases yourself (and are careful about it!) then you don't really need it.
Thanx a lot Mr Sworld!

I disagree and would say cables should always be covered because when it needs rewiring and capping is not present it means damaging the wall again in later years, so the capping doesnt just protect from trowels but also helps with rewiring again in later life.

I'm guessing that you mean PVC capping?If so, capping is used to protect the chased cables from the plasterers trowel. If you are filling the chases yourself (and are careful about it!) then you don't really need it.
capping is NOT protection,

in any legal sense of the word,

or even any logical sense either.

Badger

Re: PVC-cables protection

I disagree and would say cables should always be covered because when it needs rewiring and capping is not present it means damaging the wall again in later years, so the capping doesnt just protect from trowels but also helps with rewiring again in later life.

if your thinking along these lines then why not do it properly and bury some 20mm pvc conduit in the wall?

some LA ask for this, especially during 15th/early 16th period was a big thing in Ireland and France.

Steps, never said capping is 'protection' in a red book sense. It's to stop the plasterers knackering the chased cables, that's all. When has logic applied to wet trades?

Frances uses conduit because everthing is run in singles. T&E seems to be an UK only method.

Steps, never said capping is 'protection' in a red book sense. It's to stop the plasterers knackering the chased cables, that's all. When has logic applied to wet trades?Frances uses conduit because everthing is run in singles. T&E seems to be an UK only method.
sorry Mr S,

sounded worse than I meant it too.

only meant it as unless its on a flat wall I wouldnt bother capping, wires would be pretty safe from troweling in a chase in existing wall I woulda thought.

would agree with you regards France tho.

did consider doing my own house in conduit while Im rewiring it but thought WTF,

I wont be here in another 20 odd years when it needs doing again. :|

I know I know, not the way to look at it, ]:) Blushing