Qualification Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstarraw78

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here so please dont shoot me donwn

hope someone here can help me out on my questions,

I started a 4 year apprentaship in 1992 ,Now in 1996 i completed and passed the city and guild 2360 parts 1and 2 , but i never did take the am2 test,

Now i have had enough working with my current employer (whom i did my apprentaship with, been working for them for a long time) and want to work with another company or even on my own but i dont have the full qualification to say i,m qualified, i would class myself a competent electrician who's had over 12 years experience in a wide spectrum of electrical work

Question is which exams / courses do i need to do to enable me to get this qualification ?

Hopefully someone can help me out

Welcome to the forum gstarraw78.

We won't shoot you down. :)

They will, Bare with them - we have sparks on here in "Shifts". :)

Mornings, Afternoons & Nightshifts. :D

Welcome to the forum gstarraw78.We won't shoot you down. :)
Only cuz you keep all the water pistols locked in that cupboard of yours!! X( :(

And the key is hid somewhere in the back of Theory's cave where no-one dares to go..:( X( :_| (except Theoryspark of course!!!)... X(

So anyway.... give us the pistols.. ]:) ] :)

and we will shoot anyone down!!! :eek: :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

Hi all, first post here so please dont shoot me donwnhope someone here can help me out on my questions,

I started a 4 year apprentaship in 1992 ,Now in 1996 i completed and passed the city and guild 2360 parts 1and 2 , but i never did take the am2 test,

Now i have had enough working with my current employer (whom i did my apprentaship with, been working for them for a long time) and want to work with another company or even on my own but i dont have the full qualification to say i,m qualified, i would class myself a competent electrician who's had over 12 years experience in a wide spectrum of electrical work

Question is which exams / courses do i need to do to enable me to get this qualification ?

Hopefully someone can help me out
Hello gstarraw78. :)

To be honest if you are looking at working for another company..

They may well accept you as you are cuz 12 years practical experience counts for a lot & a previous apprenticeship helps as well...

Its not all paper certificates that are the only measuring rod!

But you would probably be a more saleable commodity with a current 17th edition qualification and possibly Inspection & testing is another valuable asset.

I have never done or had an am2 test so cant comment on how useful this is or isn't

If you are looking at working for yourself and registering with one of the approved contracting bodies.. NIC/ELECSA/ECA/NAPIT etc...

there enrolment criteria stipulate what qualifications are acceptable...

again 17th edition & inspection & test combined with what you have already would probably be sufficient...

If it is any help I can let you know my electrical quali's..

2360 pt 1 & 2 elec installation

2381 16th edition

2391 Inspection & Test

2382 17th edition

I am self employed currently in 10th year

NICEIC find these acceptable to consider me a competent spark on their register.

(originally I was trained & worked within telecommunications, have some BTEC comms qual's & OU computing qual.. but these have no direct relevance to the actual sparky side of my work! just gives a bit of confidence to customers when doing phones & computing cables! ;) )

Hope that helps:)

Are we allowed to throw cakes and jelly if we cant shoot you down.... ]:)

Pleeeeeeese???? :^O :^O:^O:^O;\

Hello gstarraw78. :) To be honest if you are looking at working for another company..

They may well accept you as you are cuz 12 years practical experience counts for a lot & a previous apprenticeship helps as well...

But you would probably be a more saleable commodity with a current 17th edition qualification and possibly Inspection & testing is another valuable asset.

I have never done or had an am2 test so cant comment on how useful this is or isn't

If you are looking at working for yourself and registering with one of the approved contracting bodies.. NIC/ELECSA/ECA/NAPIT etc...

again 17th edition & inspection & test combined with what you have already would probably be sufficient...

2381 16th edition

2391 Inspection & Test

2382 17th edition

NICEIC find these acceptable to consider me a competent spark on their register.

(originally I was trained & worked within telecommunications, have some BTEC comms qual's & OU computing qual.. but these have no direct relevance to the actual sparky side of my work! just gives a bit of confidence to customers when doing phones & computing cables! ;) )

No specs those are being kept for sunday, mcgaws having a tea party and we're all invited, honest. ]:)

Hello gstarraw78. :) To be honest if you are looking at working for another company..

2381 16th edition

2391 Inspection & Test

2382 17th edition

Thanks for the reply,

I was thinking of doing the c&g2391 but wasn't sure if i could do it without the am2 ? and now you mention the 17th edition qualification think ill look into doing that too.

To be honest i wasn't really thinking about working for myself but a good friend of mine keeps on bending my ear about working with him on a sub contracting basis, he has been working for a small company (subbying to them) for last 14 months and needs another sparks, they are not too keen on taking you on the cards but they do have stacks of work and the money not too bad , how would this setup be for me ? by me only having 2360 part 1&2 ? they are happy to take me on though.

As for the cakes and jelly, make sure its lemon drizzle as its my favorite;)

Thanks for the reply,I was thinking of doing the c&g2391 but wasn't sure if i could do it without the am2 ? and now you mention the 17th edition qualification think ill look into doing that too.
You can most certainly do 2391.. (or whatever it is called nowadays, I cant keep up with all these numbers? :( ).. without the am2. :D

I would most definitely think 17th ed is qualification you would need from now on as 17th is the "Current" standard we are now working to;\ ;)

To be honest i wasn't really thinking about working for myself but a good friend of mine keeps on bending my ear about working with him on a sub contracting basis' date=' he has been working for a small company (subbing to them) for last 14 months and needs another sparks, they are not too keen on taking you on the cards but they do have stacks of work and the money not too bad , how would this setup be for me ? by me only having 2360 part 1&2 ? they are happy to take me on though.[/quote']Best to check what sort of work/qual's your friend is talking about..

e.g. commercial/domestic..

what testing & certifying arrangements they are looking at..

e.g. If involved with part P domestic work..

who is testing & signing the certs..

self cert or LABC notification???

Do I read correctly that you friend is subby to another company..

and he is on about you subbing to him or to this other company???

you would need to check on the risks if work drys up if you are the last link in a long chain of subcontractors! :|

and the exact ins & outs of declaring your earning to that nice mr taxman! :(

I cannot provide much info on subbing work..

probably someone else can throw more light on this area?

Admin2 won't let me near the cake cupboard... ]:) ; \

so don't know if there is any lemon stuff of any kind! :_| :_| X(

You can most certainly do 2391.. (or whatever it is called nowadays, I cant keep up with all these numbers? :( ).. without the am2. :D I would most definitely think 17th ed is qualification you would need from now on as 17th is the "Current" standard we are now working to;\ ;)

Best to check what sort of work/qual's your friend is talking about..

e.g. commercial/domestic..

what testing & certifying arrangements they are looking at..

e.g. If involved with part P domestic work..

who is testing & signing the certs..

self cert or LABC notification???

Do I read correctly that you friend is subby to another company..

and he is on about you subbing to him or to this other company???

you would need to check on the risks if work drys up if you are the last link in a long chain of subcontractors! :|

and the exact ins & outs of declaring your earning to that nice mr taxman! :(

I cannot provide much info on subbing work..

probably someone else can throw more light on this area?

Admin2 won't let me near the cake cupboard... ]:) ; \

so don't know if there is any lemon stuff of any kind! :_| :_| X(
I believe most of the work is in the commercial market with domistic following behind.They are a NICEIC Approved contractor too.

From what my mate says he does the testing on the jobs he does also sometimes with the help of the boss of the company, i believe the certing is signed for by the boss , in other words all the work we would do for him would be his jobs and his name signed to them but us doing the testing on them.

My friend subbys to them and i would subby to them too if i chose to do it.

I wuld contact the NICEIC? Their minimum joining criteria is a basic 17th edition city and guilds but they do normally ask you have a 2391 (testing) under your belt.

TBH I would say most companies would accept you as you are :) However if a guy with more qualifications comes along you may be pipped.

If going on your own, you will find the NICEIC are very helpful, well its in their interests to get you on board, more money in their pocket!

NICEIC offer courses also, but they are, from my experience around 100% more expensive than going direct to your local college. However, not all local colleges offer all the courses and if they do they can be a bit sporadic. Hope that helps a bit :)

Current qualifications for an electrician are;

2330 Level 2 (equivalents are 2360 part 1, 236 A course)

2330 Level 3 (equivalents are 2360 part 2, 236 B course, 2351 all units)

Thats the technical qualifications.

For new entrants to the industy an AM2 (Acheivement Measurement 2 will also be needed)

To be a JIB electrician you will need an NVQ3 which is a portfolio of site based evidence.

This is the only route recognised to full qualification.

The following are stand alone qualifications:

2382 Knowledge of wiring regulations (Level 3)

2392 Fundermental requirements for initial verification (Level 2)

2391-10 Inspection Testing and certification (Level 3)

2391-20 Design and verification (rebadged 2400)

This is without looking at Domestic installer schemes.

Hope this helps.