Question about Veritas alarm.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystified

Reaction score
Hello.  

Wondering if someone could give me some advice on my Veritas alarm.  

I recently had an extended power cut, when the power was restored, the alarm still worked.  A week later, I had another power cut lasting about two hours.  When power was restored, the alarm came on, though I noticed it was much quieter than it used to be - it used to be audible from outside, now I could just barely hear it from the room next to the alarm.  

The next day, the alarm just seemed to go completely dead, the keypad wasn't lit up, the chime didn't sound when I opened any doors.  I called Texecom, they thought it might be the battery due to the power cuts.  I have no electrical knowledge, so called out an SSAIB engineer to take a look.  The Engineer checked the battery, and confirmed that the battery was completely dead, and replaced the battery.  Keypad lit up, door chime sounded again.  The engineering code for the alarm is unknown - the alarm was already here when I moved in, but after the engineer called Texecom, it was confirmed that this wouldn't stop the alarm working.  

A few hours after the engineer left, the alarm went off again - as before, much quieter than it had been in the past.  Due to the codes having been changed from the default, I couldn't stop the alarm, though it stopped of it's own accord later (and it was so quiet, it was easy to ignore).  

The alarm is now dead again, despite the new battery.  I've called the SSAIB company, and am waiting for a call back.  

I've searched Google, but didn't manage to find anything about the alarm being so quiet - I'm wondering if I should just ask the engineer to recheck the alarm for any other issues, or if I should be looking at a replacement alarm.  How long is it likely to take to replace the existing alarm with a new Veritas alarm?  

Thanks for any help.  

It sound like the mains supply and battery charger has failed.

Could be as simple as a fuse or something more serious. 

I would have expected the engineer who fitted a new battery to have checked the mains operation at the same time. 

Thanks Geoff1946.  :)

In your opinion, what would be the best course of action - have the engineer do a deep dive investigation into whatever the issue/s is with the alarm, get a replacement alarm, and have the engineer install that or a combination of the two?  My main concerns with the replacement are that I have no idea how long the installation of the replacement would take, and I'd have to account for the cost of the replacement as well as the engineer's fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d suggest get a new engineer. 
If he is SSAIB registered then I’d expect him to do a power check for both battery and mains supply, checking of fuses is a five minute job so no reason why that couldn’t be checked. 
If he had to confirm with Texecom then he either isn’t very familiar with Texecom alarms or isn’t very good with alarms? 

My money is on a blown fuse, that said it has been known for a totally flat battery to cause a power supply to fail. Without being there, it is not possible to give a definitive answer.

As for changing the panel, that is a last resort, since it may just be a fuse. Not everyone checks everything, but having said that, it sounds like your man does not know the panel. When it comes to alarm panels (I know its too late now)  but its best to ask are they familiar with the panel you have, if they say anything other than yes, move on, call another company, reason being there are hundreds of panels, and each company has its favourite.

If the panel does need to be changed, the easy bit is swapping the wires over, the hard part is finding out what you actually have on the alarm, and how it should be programmed.

Is it the external sounder, or internal sounder or both that are really quiet?

The external sounder has its own battery...   

Which should be trickle charges from them main panel.

Guinness

Is it the external sounder, or internal sounder or both that are really quiet?

The external sounder has its own battery...   

Which should be trickle charges from them main panel.

Guinness

Just saying...........the sounder back up battery could be beyond its useful life too, most external sounders will still operate regardless of its battery (Unless of course its an SCB) but it matters not in this case, the OP just needs his alarm fixed, I am of the opinion, like yourself, that the bod who came out does not know about the panel.

The OP really does need some one who knows what they are doing.

I do.  :(   

Apparently, the SSAIB company I called won't be coming out to take another look at the alarm, so I'll try to find another SSAIB company who is more familiar with my panel today.  

doesnt need to be SSAIB, there are others and then there are many decent companies who are none of them. usually youre just paying for a name...

where are you? there may be someone on here local

As Andy points out, you can / should call any alarm company, SSAIB is just a "badge" That companies aspire to, just because they have it does not mean they are any good, and more to the point, they could have one engineer who is good with Texecom and other who is good with Galaxy, and its luck of the draw who you get.

As I said earlier, I would suggest you call a company and ask them out right "Are you familiar with Texecom"  then ask them are they sure? I recall I once told someone to do just that, and the alarm company actually said they would look but they don't install Texecom, so the person called another company who said yes, and they sent a bod who did know about them, so everyone was happy.

It would be nice if you were to keep us updated.

It would be nice if you were to keep us updated.

I will do.  :)   I really appreciate everyone's advice so far.  

where are you? there may be someone on here local

I'm in County Durham.  I did call another company earlier and asked them about their familiarity with Texecom alarms, they said yes, and are due out early next week.  

Tyneside, but country durham covers a large area. i you dont get any luck with them send me a message. i do know texecom panels very well

Thanks. :D The company who came out confirmed it was due to the fuse; they replaced it, and so far everything seems to be working.

Latest posts