Question on industrial panels

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc1996

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a few questions regarding my findings today and wondering if any of you could help one of the guys asked me to have a look at an electrical panel due to him finding voltage from a 24v PSU + to the earth of the panel and the - to earth each readings were 6vac which I was curious why we’d have a reading maybe a floating voltage? The others question that made me think was there was a loose earth from one of the Siemens level control units that was sparking. I checked the panel earth which was all good and live and neutral. I then disconnect the earth to the seimens unit and measured voltage between the seimens earthing terminal to the panel earth which was 110v ac what would this be? I couldn’t work out if there was a fault on the unit which was making the earthing terminal 110v  but no fuses were blowing when contacted which also made me think Weather the 110v is being induced via the electronics? 

All this means it the 24V PSU 0V has not been connected to earth so is floating with respect to earth.  So any measurements to earth are meaningless.

Does the equipment work?  If so walk away.

All this means it the 24V PSU 0V has not been connected to earth so is floating with respect to earth.  So any measurements to earth are meaningless.

Does the equipment work?  If so walk away.

when I were a young apprentice, the chassis was used for neutral - not the safest arrangement  :^O

I am interested to know what level of experience the bloke who found the stray voltages has, and why he was testing  in the panel in the first place?

just curious 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the guy I was working with is an instrumental technician. And I’ve just come out my time but I’m always wanting to understand as much as I can. I’ll be honest my main experience comes from fault finding on basic motor starters and have limited experience with the electronic side of things other than inverter. Its hard to get answers to some of my questions from asking other electricians as without sounding disrespect the questions I ask can sometimes be above what they know. Sorry Kirching if I’m asking basic questions. 

Don’t be shy to ask us questions, if you are honest which you have been we will give it our best shot. When I came out of my time I still had hundreds of questions, used to drive people mad, but it does keep everyone on their toes if you have decent lads about, as some can get embarrassed / aggressive by their lack of knowledge.

Come to think of it I still ask loads of questions and I am retired now.

I was just curious.      If poking around in a panel it is susally because they have reason to,and know what to,expect.   BUT this is not always the case, some just muddle through

remember  there s no such thing as a stupid question.... the only exception is  the questions you wished you had asked!

ask away on here, someone will know the answer!....if not then they will know somebody that will!    We all have to learn😂👍

We had an earth loop,tester at work

i asked what it was for....I,was told that you plugged it in and if the needle didn't move beyond the centre mark everything was ok!

took it to college to ask them.

it was broken, needle NEVER moved