Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not many timers have motors now and use minimal power. Without monitoring the power usage it’s not guaranteed that less energy is used when having the power off to the fridge freezer for a set time, as it’s more energy efficient to keep a maintained temperature than having the compressor work harder to get back to the required temperature.

We have had no issues at all good keeps well
Having some experience in electronics I myself would never dream of switching electronic equipment off like TVs and amps always left these in standby as my old teacher always stated you could cause failures . But nowadays equipment is much more sound so now everything gets turned off nothing is left in standby anymore except a home phone. This will all contribute to more savings over a year.

I switched off my gas boiler last year when away for a week. Came home, switched it on and it failed. Needed a new logic board at a cost of around £400. So much for 'standby' mode saving money!

Had a similar thing with a network switch as well. The switch-mode PSUs in many devices these days often fail when being switched on from cold. In that case I repaired it myself but it's not always easy.

Not many timers have motors now and use minimal power. Without monitoring the power usage it’s not guaranteed that less energy is used when having the power off to the fridge freezer for a set time, as it’s more energy efficient to keep a maintained temperature than having the compressor work harder to get back to the required temperature.
No it isn’t and the longer it is off the more you save. Yes the compressor works a bit harder on start up but it has not worked at all during the off period. The savings are all about less losses during the off period.

I think you’ll shorten the life of your appliance by doing such, as I’m sure I’ve read that compressors don’t like being switched on and off (total power isolation) regularly. Perhaps it’s more to do with the electronics associated to the compressor?

Either way for what you are gaining it doesn’t seem worth it, you probably lose more money in the course of the week than you save by doing this.