quote help required

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Hello all

Just returned from my first quote since qualifying! Have written everything down that needs to be done, but don't know where to start with regards to pricing!!!

HElllllllllllllllllllllllp Pray - client requires the following:

Remove approx. 6 spots and replace with pendant fitting

Move a light to a new position (only 2/3 feet away from existing)

Move light switch and change to a pull-cord switch.

Add isolating switch to extractor and possibly change and/or move current one

Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a rough guide when it comes to pricing ie: addition of SO/extractor etc?

Also - when surveying, made my first error (so far!) by not finding out what system it was...tncs, tt etc. Is this of main consequence at this early stage?

Cheers

How exciting, good luck! ;)

Sorry I don't know about pricing but would like to know too, so I'll move out of the way quick :)

Hello allJust returned from my first quote since qualifying! Have written everything down that needs to be done, but don't know where to start with regards to pricing!!!

HElllllllllllllllllllllllp Pray - client requires the following:

Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a rough guide when it comes to pricing ie: addition of SO/extractor etc?

Also - when surveying, made my first error (so far!) by not finding out what system it was...tncs, tt etc. Is this of main consequence at this early stage?

Cheers
Hi mate

Dont panic !!!!! we have all been there once

dont worry too much about the system at this stage.

you have all the stuff there that is required by the customer,but you havnt stated what is required from a sparkies point of view....

main bonding to water/gas is it there ???

state of fuseboard ?? safe to work on ??

rcd protection there or is it required for the work you are doing

any of the work in the bathroom ??

may need to test lighting cct before start to reveal any issues

as for pricing

how long do you think it will take you ??? i do my quotes on a day rate or half day rate

a few things to consider but rest assured with the guys on this forum you will have a quote written,,with terms and conditions by 8 o'clock tomorrow morning !!!!

Hi Havinalaugh,

what area is the job in/are you from?

Maybe, several sparks can put their heads together and come up with a content, so that I can put together a dedicated page, the same as that of the "Business page", to help out on pricing?!

I know that there are varying factors, such as area etc, but it could be a rough guide.

Maybe?

I know it may seem obvious, but can be easily over looked - especially when it is your first quote or two, but maybe things like what Theoryspark mentioned in his post above (post #3) can be added too? Such as :

Is ADS present? Condition? (Previously EEBADS)

Condition of CU/fuseboard?

RCD present etc..

Hia, I usually work on a per point basis, but in this case I would work out in my head roughly how long each element of the job will take then multiply by

Hi Havinalaugh,what area is the job in/are you from?

Maybe, several sparks can put their heads together and come up with a content, so that I can put together a dedicated page, the same as that of the "Business page", to help out on pricing?!

I know that there are varying factors, such as area etc, but it could be a rough guide.

Maybe?
I think thant is a fantastic idea admin:)Applaud Smiley

The other option would be a 'how much to fit 3 spotlights' 'how much call out 3 miles and fir an outside light' etc?

Just to give ppl an idea what level most people are pitching things.

Could put it in the ppassword protected section if you are worried about everyone seeing?

Cheers
Nat:

What I generally do is similar to Zee. i.e. cost the materials (I use TLC website, remember to add vat!). Guesstimate the time it`ll take, and multiply by the amount your business needs to earn / your hourly rate (whichever is higher).

Decide if you`re going to provide certificate for "free", or charge seperately. If charging, add that cost on too.

Theo makes an excellent point - is the installation safe to work on? If the main earth or bonds are inadequate, or there`s no RCD protection, you`ll HAVE to do that, as well as the customer`s requests.

Working time out is awkward, as only you know what speed you can work at. Do you stop for a cuppa / chat / ciggie / whatever, every 30 mins? Or do you work non-stop until the job is done?

For me - Remove spots, (make good ceiling?) and fit pendant - 1 hr (+1 hr making good).

Move light switch (chase & fill?) chase cable to ceiling, chase for new position, extend & reroute cable, make good - 2hr + a bit - I`d allow 3 hrs.

(re) move light switch, convert to pullcord - IF ceiling above is accessible - 1/2 hr ( +make good on old switch position). Otherwise, chase & make good again. Accessible - 1 hr. Not - 2hrs.

Fan isloator fit - if poss. fit in ceiling, poss. on a dry lining box. Probable extend cable. Allow 1.5 hrs.

Time for requested works - approx 1 day.

I`d be providing an estimate (unless quotation specifically requested), assuming you don`t have to do any other works, of approx

Thanks Theory. I did check main gas/water bonding and both were in place. Fuseboard was only a few years old and there was an RCD present. There was no segregation of circuits, which I know doesn't comply with 17th, but it's not retro, so that's ok. The extractor is in the bathroom.

Having worked extensively on my own home, I'm guessing it might take me as much as 3/4 days - does this sound realistic? I know there must be sparks out there who could knock all this out in a day or 2, but I want to give myself extra time. Fortunately I know the client and she knows my position, so won't stress over time.

there was an RCD present. There was no segregation of circuits, which I know doesn't comply with 17th, but it's not retro, so that's ok. The extractor is in the bathroom.
Was the Rcd a main switch or was a split load board present. As you are working on a bathroom circuit you should be working (or leaving) that circuit Rcd 'd. This circuit also needs Part P notification.

Oh dear - I'd started my response, then had to go out! Many thanks for all the posts so far. Admin - I'm in 10mins north of Cambridge - like your idea.

Gosh KME - 1 day - you must work like the clappers, with no break!!! Is my estimation grossly out then? I work at a fair speed.

Slips, there's a split load board present, with the RCD protecting the 2 rings and heating circuit (which is no longer used). There were no spare ways.

How will I leave that particular circuit RCD protected then? I couldn't replace the spare way with an RCD could I 'cos don't they all take up 2 ways?

Oh dear - I'd started my response, then had to go out! Many thanks for all the posts so far. Admin - I'm in 10mins north of Cambridge - like your idea. Gosh KME - 1 day - you must work like the clappers, with no break!!! Is my estimation grossly out then? I work at a fair speed.

Slips, there's a split load board present, with the RCD protecting the 2 rings and heating circuit (which is no longer used). There were no spare ways.

How will I leave that particular circuit RCD protected then? I couldn't replace the spare way with an RCD could I 'cos don't they all take up 2 ways?
RCBO? they only take up 1 way don't they?

Admin - I'm in 10mins north of Cambridge - like your idea.
Great, All we need to now - is to ask the fine Ladies and Gentlemen on this here forum to put it together. :D

Gosh KME - 1 day - you must work like the clappers, with no break!!! Is my estimation grossly out then? I work at a fair speed.
Have you got as fit apprentice, KME?