Quote visit checklist.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears that there may be a necessity for some sort of checklist, when going to see a job; in order to avoid missing important information.

(Not just recent starters either, I just messed up by not realising the lighting circuit I had to rewire was in a flat roof, 2 storey extension, with 8 x 4 T+G bugboard on the floor :( :( :( )

So - Lets see if we can get something together. I`m sure others will suggest points I miss ;)

As an aside, the "easycert" software lets you print "site survey" forms, which will allow you to note down the electrical necessities? :|

We are presupposing a domestic environment here guys, okay?

1. Is the area of works flat roofed?Blushing

2. Is the works notifiable?

3. Supply type, main switch & C.U.

4. Are main bonds in place?

5. If lighting circuit, and property wiring could be early `70`s, check the wiring isn`t 2 core (no cpc)

6. While you`re in the house, look for obvious damage to sockets, switches, ancient pendants, etc.

7. How much furniture are you likely to have to move around?

8. What are the walls made from (brick, timber, stone? internal block, stud, brick, lath?)

9. Accessibility to the loft. Levels of insulation present ( esp. if you`ll be fitting a shower!)

10. If you think major works are required, and the cabling may be >30n years old, take the cover off the fuse box. Ensure you`re dealing with pvc, not VR or lead!

11. Asbestos. Be aware of it. It is in so many things (including artex, up until the early `90`s!!)

12. If you`re adding an electric shower, outbuilding or large load, ensure the supply will be capable of taking it!

13. Check for "hidden" sockets, PIR lighting, aerial amplifiers hidden in the loft! They`ll throw your Ins readings.

I have been provided with a list of common works, and the expected lengths of time for carrying them out, by one of our members. I will post it shortly, as an attachment to this thread.

HTH

KME

Nice one KME . Can I add the following ?

1) You didn't add the 8X4 Bugboard Sheets ( Total nightmare !!)

2) Make sure the loft isn't boarded over and full of carp.

3) Laminate flooring.

4) Solid floors on ground floor.

5) Any oval tubes or channels down to light switches.

I'm sure there will be more.

Deke

De

And nice one to you and whoever else adds on, KME. :x

Nice one KME . Can I add the following ?1) You didn't add the 8X4 Bugboard Sheets ( Total nightmare !!)

2) Make sure the loft isn't boarded over and full of carp.

3) Laminate flooring.

4) Solid floors on ground floor.

5) Any oval tubes or channels down to light switches.

I'm sure there will be more.

Deke
How can you tell when it's buried in plaster?

Anyone had a play with these on solid boards? Are they any help?

When you say have we played with these, are we looking at the bikini clad temptress in hard hat or what ?

Those boards are a nightmare, whatever you use you are in danger of cutting water pipes ,

Regarding tubes to light switches, take a switch of and take a look and give 'em a pull.

When you say have we played with these, are we looking at the bikini clad temptress in hard hat or what ? Important to be adequately protected when writing around in a bikini Those boards are a nightmare, whatever you use you are in danger of cutting water pipes ,Regarding tubes to light switches, take a switch of and take a look and give 'em a pull.
Thought the idea with the router was you set the depth correctly so it doesn't cut anything underneath?

For your check list, KME:

1. Wiring installation method (in walls/solid floors): conduit, buried direct.

2. Cable type: PVC, VIR, pyro.

3. Depth of switch & socket boxes.

4. Add concrete to the list of your point 8 "what are walls made of?".

5. Type of loft insulation (and will disturbing it give me the itch from hell?).

When Mrs P & I lived in a South London tower block, all wiring was pyro buried directly and the switch boxes were too shallow to fit dimmers:_|.

Cheers,

Pyro.

If its a typical domestic property..

Have a quick check at the floor layouts upstairs AND downstairs..

checking for walls that don't line up through the property..

e.g. wider lounge than bedrooms.. so where you think light switches are coming up in one room... it can actually be in the next room! or the middle of room! especially where this can clash with one of the "nasty floors" already mentioned.. say laminate in next bedroom or tiled bathroom floor..

Or downstairs light switches or fitting aligning with fitted wardrobes in the upstairs bedroom..

These can add a few extra hours fiddling around to get your cables in place! ;)

KME nice idea. Is there anyway we can make this into a printable document when we're done for us to download/print off. Id like to keep a copy in the van.

Theres always some little detail you forget when your there to look at a job.

Additions to the list...

Availability of materials. Will getting together all the gear mean a fair bit of running about?

As previously mentioned, will the cable runs be hassle free? Is there laminate flooring, flat roof with no attic etc?

Installation surface wired in trunking or are we chasing the walls out? Chasing = the moving of more furniture, more mess meaning more tidyig up afterwards, making good/plasterer, more time consuming all round.

Hope this helps the rest of you with your 8 x 4 flooring...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Trend-Trend-Routabout-Jig-23103.htm

KME nice idea. Is there anyway we can make this into a printable document when we're done for us to download/print off. Id like to keep a copy in the van.Theres always some little detail you forget when your there to look at a job.

Additions to the list...

Availability of materials. Will getting together all the gear mean a fair bit of running about?

As previously mentioned, will the cable runs be hassle free? Is there laminate flooring, flat roof with no attic etc?

Installation surface wired in trunking or are we chasing the walls out? Chasing = the moving of more furniture, more mess meaning more tidyig up afterwards, making good/plasterer, more time consuming all round.

Hope this helps the rest of you with your 8 x 4 flooring...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Trend-Trend-Routabout-Jig-23103.htm
Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

nice link!

I thought your link was excellent although a little distracting. Well we can all dream can't we!!! ; \

this is just the kind of thing i need, i will make something up for people to download if you want? :)