Radio controlled 'Smokes'...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemer

Reaction score
Currently working on a cellar conversion, and need to fit a smoke alarm, however, only priced for the cellar but realise the rest of the house will need smokes too. Can I install radio controlled smokes throughout the house, by batteries only? ...No mains!!

have seen Grade D (mains/battery) smokes and Grade F (entirely wireless) smokes....what is the (apart from the obvious) difference?

Thanks for your help again.

Dave

Grade F is a system of one or more battery powered smoke alarms. The system may include one or more battery powered heat alarms.

Grade D is a system of one or more mains powered smoke alarm, each with its own integral standby supply (battery) The system may incorporate one or more heat detectors. The detectors normally need to be interlinked.

If you are having to fit the smokes due to the building regs, then you have to fit mains powered with battery backup. Wireless interlink can be used.
I know building regs need mains-linked detectors for loft conversion..

because you a going above two floors up.

And if you were doing a rewire you would put detectors to each occupied floor, but do cellars have any specific requirements??

I cant recall comming across anything?

As you are only one floor away from ground floor exit..

which is the same as if you are upstairs in a normal property?

and aren't you free to do a cellar conversion without involving building regs? :|

obviously its not a special location for wiring regs / part P??

If no regs required you could fit what is acceptable to the customer.

Grade F is a system of one or more battery powered smoke alarms. The system may include one or more battery powered heat alarms.
I've been looking for a battery powered heat alarm for a while, do you know where I can get one?

I've only been able to find mains powered ones. X( Need one for my kitchen!