Rainwater Harvesting - pumps etc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant help but wonder............

I looked into rainwater harvesting, great idea, save money, be kinder to the environment etc, when I costed it all it was going to take  years before I broke even, just because the cost of water is so little (less than £2 / cubic metre)

Just thinking even simpler?

can you not just put a tap on the other end of pipe near where you want to use it and connect a pressure wash direct to it? 

You will still have a similar amount of stored water, just not pumping it between locations? 

a large tank still has 1m meter of 'head'
How do you work that out?

If a tank is 1m Tall and its full then yes, but as soon as you start to use it its no longer full and so no longer has 1 METRE head, that is also assuming you have an out let at the bottom.

Not to mention the cost is already on the up. £150 for tanks + ? for the pump, still not my money.

think you just answered your own question, plus I did suggest putting some blocks under the tank to mantain a +ve head

Last edited by a moderator:
aren't you going to need some sort of filter? the spray heads of a pressure washer will surely get blocked pretty quickly with grey water.

possibly a pond pump in the low level tanks switched from the point of use to pre charge the "clean" tank? pond pumps come surrounded in gauze etc.  and you could have a mesh under the upper tank inlet.