Rcbo or breaker

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ally83

Reaction score
Hello all hope you are keeping well.

As my domestic knowledge is still slim to none I need a little info from your good selves.

I have recently moved into a flat that had no shower.

My flat mate bought a nice little mira shower and asked a "real sparK" to install it for him. The " real spark roughed in the cable and has never been seen again.

I have now decided that its about time the shower got installed but im confused about one part of the job

The shower will be fed from a wylex split load board. Both sides of the board have spare ways so what id like to know is,

Do i get an RCBO and put it at the RCD side of the board, an MCB and put it at the RCD side of the board or an RCBO and put it in the main switch side of the board, which is best practice???

Do i get an RCBO and put it at the RCD side of the board, an MCB and put it at the RCD side of the board or an RCBO and put it in the main switch side of the board, which is best practice???
Personally I would use an RCBO on the main switch side of the board. So if the shower trips it doesn't effect anything else.

The cheaper option is to put a mcb on the rcd side of the board but it will take other circuits out if it trips the rcd.

So. Best way will cost you

:_| Is there a timeout when posting a reply?

Was just typing a reply and my message has disappeared! This is the second time its happened.

Anway, thanks Mr Sworld, your message in a lot less words explains what Iwas trying to say. :)

RCBO it is then. Thanks alot for your advice lads, its appreciated.

Hello all hope you are keeping well. As my domestic knowledge is still slim to none I need a little info from your good selves.

I have recently moved into a flat that had no shower.

My flat mate bought a nice little mira shower and asked a "real sparK" to install it for him. The " real spark roughed in the cable and has never been seen again.

I have now decided that its about time the shower got installed but im confused about one part of the job

The shower will be fed from a wylex split load board. Both sides of the board have spare ways so what id like to know is,

Lets just answer it this way...

There are Thousands of properties around the country at the moment with the showers connected via an MCB on the RCD side of a split load board... All fully compliant with current (16th) regs....

I assume you are also putting a Double pole isolating switch in the circuit as per the manufactures instructions..

Cuz 'IF' there was a fault on the shower that tripped the RCD..

you can quickly isolate it with the Double Pole switch.

but TBH you are more likely to get an RCD trip problem with a dodgy portable appliance plugged into a socket...

more so than a correctly wired & tested shower circuit! ;)

Well that my opinion anyway...

In the 20+ years we have lived at our house...with various showers & CU replacements,

I have never know one of our showers to trip an RCD..

but the good lady over filling the steam iron does!! :eek: :OX(

So in a nutshell... Its entirely up to your preference how you wire it..?

As long as you test/certify & Notify part P.. it will all be completely pucka?

Is there a requirement to have the shower on an rcd or rcbo ;)

Apart from the manufacturers instructions or come july1st.

I'm with SL bang it on the rcd side.

Off to bed now see ya all later.

Is there a requirement to have the shower on an rcd or rcbo ;) Apart from the manufacturers instructions or come july1st.

I'm with SL bang it on the rcd side.

Off to bed now see ya all later.
there is absoluely NO requirement to have a showere either on the RCD side or on an RCBO,

merely just good practice

Well folks, the evening I started this thread, "Real spark" appeared on the doorstep armed and ready to finish the shower. Fair enough I thought and left him to it.

When he finished I had a look, out of interest, at the type of protection hed installed.

He put a 50A mcb on the incomer side of the board.

I may be wrong here but is 50A a little high considering the shower is a 9KW mira sprint?

Far from me to tell any any domestic spark whats right and wrong because im not in that side of the game, but I think maybe a 40A breaker would of been a bit more suitable?

Am I looking for problems when there arent any here?

Well folks, the evening I started this thread, "Real spark" appeared on the doorstep armed and ready to finish the shower. Fair enough I thought and left him to it.When he finished I had a look, out of interest, at the type of protection hed installed.

He put a 50A mcb on the incomer side of the board.
On the incomer, (Non-RCD protected), side?

Are you saying the shower has NO RCD protection....? ?:| :|

I may be wrong here but is 50A a little high considering the shower is a 9KW mira sprint?Far from me to tell any any domestic spark whats right and wrong because im not in that side of the game, but I think maybe a 40A breaker would of been a bit more suitable?
The MCB primarily is to protect the cable...

Assuming 10mm T&E installed 45A or 50A will be fine. :)

9kW... "nominal" a 40amp may be a touch low? ....

spark possibly could not obtain a 45amp? :)

Am I looking for problems when there arent any here?
the only problem I would see is if the "real spark" has not issued with the relevant EIC

& organised LABC notification for Part P compliance certificate. :D

"new work.. room containing bath or shower = Notifiable"