RCD protection and domestic eicrs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NE1

Reaction score
Hi folks

I have a query I'm an industrial spark and served my time in this industry but I have just been asked with carrying out an eicr for a friend and noticed they have split their buzzbar and have half of their circuits unprotected by their RCD.

I was expecting everything to be plain Sailing but now it has me questioning myself and searching the regs for answers.

I know their lighting circuit is a c3 being non protected but their heating circuit also is non protected is it the same for all fixed wire circuits?

So a C3?

Obviously I've checked for damage etc and all fixed wiring looks fine.

Looking forward to being schooled.

Thanks lads

nothing wrong with a 16th edition set-up, provided it wasn't installed more recently than that et of regs. Doesn't merit a C3 in my opinion, just note as an observation.

The fundamental thought for EICR's is "Is this any less safe than when it was ( at the time, correctly/compliantly) installed

However this seems to be regarded as a bit quaint by people who see EICRs as a good way to drum up extra work

Your terminology describing the consumer unit and your noting of "rcd" without stating its characteristics, for example whether it is for fault or additional protection suggests carrying out an EICR is beyond your level of competence so you are correct to question yourself.

Why so @Fleeting , can you justify why this wouldn't be a C4 ,?
Can you justify why your response is of absolutely no relevance to the thread @NE1 initiated. The OP is a new member and whilst you must have found it amusing, although I am not sure why. Maybe you should respond with something more applicable for a new member.

Additional. Prefer advice rather than a competency evaluation. It's a different beast I deal with daily so advice is appreciated

Additional. Prefer advice rather than a competency evaluation. It's a different beast I deal with daily so advice is appreciated
Competence is what is required though when doing an EICR or any electrical works.

Fleeting... I'm a fully qualified JIB spark, compex and various other quals and have been out of my time nearly a decade.

I don't work at all in the domestic setting this is why I sought advice and was explained in the original post.

Any advice on the post would be appreciated, if you don't know then that's great too.

Fleeting... I'm a fully qualified JIB spark, compex and various other quals and have been out of my time nearly a decade.

I don't work at all in the domestic setting this is why I sought advice and was explained in the original post.

Any advice on the post would be appreciated, if you don't know then that's great too.
I understand you are qualified but it doesn't change the fact qualifications and not just you but anyone does not make them competent in all aspects, I am no different if I am asked to do something beyond my field of competence I say so.

The fundamental thought for EICR's is "Is this any less safe than when it was ( at the time, correctly/compliantly) installed

However this seems to be regarded as a bit quaint by people who see EICRs as a good way to drum up extra work
So why the downvote @Fleeting ?FleetingJPG.JPG

@Bruspark I acted in haste to the last paragraph @steptoe was a ridiculous comment to a new member but I removed them to avoid bad feelings.
I don't think it was,
The C4 covered this sort of thing precisely,
the removal of C4 was ridiculous,
C4 - not installed to current regulations but does not warrant any other code , ie: green earth sleeving ,

I don't think it was,
The C4 covered this sort of thing precisely,
the removal of C4 was ridiculous,
C4 - not installed to current regulations but does not warrant any other code , ie: green earth sleeving ,
I agree the old categories were much preferred to the current codes but nevertheless the OP is a new member asking about an EICR when they really shouldn't be undertaking such a task.

green sleeving. whilst its non compliant with current stadnards, is not likely to give rise to danger so no need to code it anyway. imo the current 1 2 & 3 work just fine, its the 'electricians' who code everything and wrongly that are the problem