RCD Protection on sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did RCD sockets not (mainly) come about when the 16th (iirc) required RCD protection on a socket that was likely to be used outdoors,? 
No they were around prior to that I remember fitting them in sheds a fair few years back under the 15th Ed. Regulation 417.12 of the 15th Ed required rcd protection for equipment used outside the equipotential zone.

Last edited by a moderator:
No they were around prior to that I remember fitting them in sheds a fair few years back under the 15th Ed. Regulation 417.12 of the 15th Ed required rcd protection for equipment used outside the equipotential zone.
I know they were about before that, was just thinking that was when they became more widely used. 

oldest 7288 standard i can find is 1990 so id guess they were available from about then. unless they were to another standard previously
sounds about right, RCds not popular in boards, so advice was to use plug type RCDs in gardens for lawn mowers and the like. They were certainly around 20+ years ago and in wide spread use

I have got ideas as to why they are out of favour.

I am not sure if my views are going to be popular, or if they are correct.

Safety standards and public expectations for safety are increasing and the cost the public are willing to pay has decreased.

Have 7288 products have been subjected to cost down work which has compromised the compliance with other standards and the technical details for providing additional protection, which may well have become more demanding?

Have the more demanding requirements for additional protection been recognised by 7671, but not 7288?  Therefore excluding them?

Perhaps the committee missed this in earlier versions, and has had to correct it?

Perhaps they never complied?

Why does one of you not write to the IET technical helpline for clarification?

I am not in a position to be able to do that for reasons I can’t & won’t discuss.

Suffice for me to say, it’s not that I am banned or have fallen out with the IET in any way.

Latest posts