RCD Protection...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helensdad

Reaction score
Hi, i am new to the forum - after looking at a few - this looks the friendliest.

I am not a electrican. please don't bite my head of.

A friend of mine has had some work done with a Niceic registered electrican. He has put all cables to Mcbs, but all these are protected by one 80a RCD. The load is not split. Is it safe to do this?

I wouldn't normally question a electricans work, he said it satisfies the new regulations. What new regulations? Are there new regulations? does what he did satisfy them? Or is he toying with me? (He was a laugh, apparently).

Helensdad.

Welcome to the forum

Firstly new regulations came into effect earlier this month

This meant that,basically,all circuits in the house need to be rcd protected

which is how your consumer unit has been set up

how many circuits do you have ???? or how many mcbs are being used.

are they all on the one rcd ????

would i be right in saying that if you pressed the rcd test button then all the power to the house goes off ???? not ideal

what make of consumer unit is it ????

can you post a picture and we can advise further

regards Theo

Thanks for the Welcome.

I thought it was to be split between a main switch? and an RCD? I am not an electrican and don't wish to ignorant.

My Friend has his upstairs and downstairs rings, two lighting circuits and I think he has a cable for his Combi (not 100% if it's deicated or if it is a spur of the upstairs ring?)

I don't know if all the electric goes off? Has the electrican done it wrong?

I have just got of the phone with him and he said there is a main switch. There is the RCD in question next to it. there are only a blue and a brown thick cable going into and out of the main switch?

The cables go into mcbs that are connected to the rcd by a thin copper bar underneath.

Is that any more help? I did explain that without an electrican seeing them, they canot advice properly.

seems wrong to me Helensdad.

NOT dangerous tho, just that to my mind it DOESNT comply with the new regs, the 17th edition.

they should be segregated to avoid nuisiance to other circuits should a fault develope on one.

ie, fault on downstairs lights shouldnt trip off RCD for upstairs lights.

same for ring final socket circuits,

shower circuit shouldnt trip out bathroom light etc.

hope you get my direction,

IMHO should be probably a minimun of TWO RCDs and a main switch as well.

Hope This Helps,

Albert.

ps, Im sure some more educated soul than I will be able to post you up the relevant reg number and quote, my regs ran out in 1908, :^O :^O:^O

Thanks for replying.

So a 100a main switch and an 80a RCD is not good enough? all his circuits are RCD protected.

Thanks for replying.So a 100a main switch and an 80a RCD is not good enough? all his circuits are RCD protected.
If they are protected by only one rcd then its not the best way of doing it

if a bulb blows you lose the whole house

as you can see on the link i posted it shows all the preferred options which of course has a greater cost involved.

it might be the guy was asked to keep the costs to the minimum and so his way would comply with the regs just

did your mate get a certificate ????

If they are protected by only one rcd then its not the best way of doing itif a bulb blows you lose the whole house

as you can see on the link i posted it shows all the preferred options which of course has a greater cost involved.

it might be the guy was asked to keep the costs to the minimum and so his way would comply with the regs just

did your mate get a certificate ????
So the way that the Nic electrican has done it is alright and safe and within the regulations etc. It is just an inconveniance thing - is it?

I should image he has a cert or will be getting one. I would have to check with him.

Ok lets not condem a fellow sparky until we know the full story?

First question when was the work carried out was it before July 1st if so could be 16th. edition. although he said complied with new regs.

Is the supply TT ? if so would need full RCD protection.

cant see why he has put main isolator to RCD when RCD along would have been OK.

Is the main supply protection 60 Amp or 100 Amp if 100 Amp RCD is not suitible for supply this would be more of a concern than splitting the circuts between two RCD to comply with 17th edition.

Look forward to sugestions CJS

]Ok lets not condem a fellow sparky until we know the full story? First question when was the work carried out was it before July 1st if so could be 16th. edition. although he said complied with new regs.Is the supply TT ? if so would need full RCD protection.

Is the main supply protection 60 Amp or 100 Amp if 100 Amp RCD is not suitible for supply this would be more of a concern than splitting the circuts between two RCD to comply with 17th edition.

i agree

i tried to answer the ops querry with the little info he gave and his knowledge of the cu. unless we have the cert in front of us we are in the dark

chances are you and i may have done it differently anyway

interpretation is the key

we may find out that the property is in a field

Ok lets not condem a fellow sparky until we know the full story?First question when was the work carried out was it before July 1st if so could be 16th. edition. although he said complied with new regs.

Is the supply TT ? if so would need full RCD protection.

The supply is TNS? (has the earth coming off the main cable).

Supply is 60a

The electrician could have just used the 80a 30ma RCD as a main switch also - could he? Instead of putting the Main switch in there to?

He hasn't got the certifiacate yet - but he is having one as this company is not a fly by knight. they came highly recommended.

No-one is putting him down - I just wanted to double check. I have a high regard for all tradesmen, afterall i am one myself.

Hi, i am new to the forum - after looking at a few - this looks the friendliest.I am not a electrican. please don't bite my head of.

Helensdad.
Heaven forbid........

Hell will freeze over before 'anyone' is to be aloud, out of order here...

My friend..

:D

Heaven forbid........Hell will freeze over before 'anyone' is to be out of order here...

My friend..

:D
Hello extension15,

I must say that i am very impressed with everyone. other places would have bitten my head off by now.

If they are protected by only one rcd then its not the best way of doing it
This is not dangerous, but is considered bad practice as it could expose the customer to a dangerous situation ie fumbling aroubd in the dark etc. That is why using RCD as incoming main switch (not TT) was stopped @15 years ago (although not illegal), and having lived with this set-up on my previous house I know first hand what a pain it can be. New regs follow same principle (and enhance on it), ergo it is still 'bad practice' but not actually illegal as far as I can tell? :| ?:| ? :|

I think the question has been ansered. and although it is not the best way (could be financial - agreed with electrican - I will check on that).

It is safe enough.

Thank you again.

Latest posts