RCD Tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarfega

Reaction score
My consumer unit suddenly started tripping last night. Happened about 8 or 9 times over the space of about four hours, but was fixed each time (until the last). RCD for the sockets kept switching off. Even after I'd unplugged everything but my PC - it still continued to trip. When I attempted the flick it back on for the final time - nothing happened and i was left with a crackling sound.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks

I'm in the North-West.

Been in my property for one month now, and this is the first problem I have encountered.

Was unable to even turn the power back on last night (the crackling from the socket RCD worried me, so i left it alone). I plan to give it a try again later when I arrive home, but any advice until then is much appreciated.

Sounds like it maybe a problem with the RCD, BUT - it is impossible to diagnose, without being there and doing any testing.

I would suggest that you call out an electrician to check it out for you. (If you aren't one). :)

Welcome to the forum, By the Way. :D

Thanks guys. I'll get my elec man out to have a look, and hopefully get this sorted! It would appear to be the socket RCD, as the lighting RCD is working just fine.

Let us know the outcome Swarf, and join us as regularly as you can. :)

Dust in the RCD!! Possibly affected the breaker or something.

That was it. Is dust a common nuisance in the world of electricity and power?

Dust in the RCD!! Possibly affected the breaker or something.That was it. Is dust a common nuisance in the world of electricity and power?
I do know that plaster dust is very fine and will go through the pores of a vacuum cleaner bag and clog and burn out the motor. So if you have had building works done in the past, it may be feasible that dust has got inside the fuse box switches. But I am sure the others could confirm if this is possible.

Doc H.

Apache - took it out, gave it a shake and blew away some dust. Worked fine after putting it back in.

Evans elec - only been in property 4 weeks. No building work done myself, doesn't look like there had been anything done recently either. Whole unit was pretty tight and secure. Bit of a mystery but I'm glad it's sorted and was nothing more serious.