RCD types - 531.3.3 - when doing EICR's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, at this point, note but do not assign code

If I am testing a commericial building and there are office sockets without any RCD protection then thats a C3, the client may decide to have C3 issues corrected if its at a reasonble cost, but if there is also a C3 for the two 12 way TPN boards full of AC RCDs fitted in 2018 then they might see the C3s as having a high cost and being a load of red tape and not have any of them done.

I might also have banched the C3 category into two, one of which indicates that the recommendation to improve the situation is to be taken as a *strong* recommendation.

The clients is...
strongly recommended to have RCD protection fitted to kitchenette and cleaners sockets
Recommend to have RCD protetcion fitted to general office sockets
Advised that existing office sockets on type AC devices no longer meet current requirements

It is not correct that type AC rcds/rcbos no longer meet current requirements.

Even after September type AC will still be accepted under BS7671 it is the circumstances in which they are employed that must be satisfied.

Thinking about our house.

the solar is on a mcb
the utility room is on a type AC and that’s not getting changed

cant think of anything else that would cause issues (so far)

I'm listening to a NAPIT webiner as I'm doing admin and this just popped up regarding this very subject:

View attachment 13905

However absolutely no guidance as to what "known presence of DC" actually meant - muppets - surely they could have listed some common examples or am I expecting too much?
Hello chap - laptop power Suppys, LED lamps LED lighting, mobile phone chargers, washing machines, dishwashers microwaves,
I'm listening to a NAPIT webiner as I'm doing admin and this just popped up regarding this very subject:

View attachment 13905

However absolutely no guidance as to what "known presence of DC" actually meant - muppets - surely they could have listed some common examples or am I expecting too much?

TV’s. EV Car chargers … pretty much all modern day equipment will have some form of electronic circuit and lots of these are actually designed to leak DC otherwise they won’t work properly.

So the simple answer really is C3 but put a shorter retest date due to the type AC devices possibly becoming useless.

So a more regular measured trip test should pick up that the rcd is beginning to become blinded.

I think that is a more sensible way to deal with it at the moment. Remember the regs are not retrospective. So if it passed when installed then the most it can be is C3 as no reg changes have made anything a C1/C2.