Ready for the big day??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you are all ready for the big day tomorrow, or are you all still installing 16th designed installations???

As for me I haven't yet done the update, but got the red book and done some certs on word/excel (have given up buying pads!!) suppose I'll finish this rewire off to 16th and then go on with the 17th from here on in!!

Still looking for a course provider for the update near me (I can get away with 2 day update!!)

Yeh, but tho change a light fiting or switch in a bathroom you now have to add RCD protection. So a little job just got twice as expensive!!
Those like-for-like accessory/fitting replacements..

arn't actual alterations to the wiring system... ;)

Even DIY-BOB can do those quite legitimatle... :eek: :^O

IMHO

If you are not adding or extending the circuit, it could quite reasonably remain compliant with the regs issue it was installed to. :)

Unless of course it was dangerous in its original selected location or wiring type or condition?? :( :D

I started replacing a single light for some downlights this week & put an RCD for the lights outside the bathroom. Customer wanted shaver socket & mirror light aswell.

If you replace a single light for some downlights, & the lights & pull cord are just outside the zone (2.25m) according to the 17th do you still need to fit RCD protection ?

I started replacing a single light for some downlights this week & put an RCD for the lights outside the bathroom. Customer wanted shaver socket & mirror light aswell. If you replace a single light for some downlights, & the lights & pull cord are just outside the zone (2.25m) according to the 17th do you still need to fit RCD protection ?
From Monty Pythons big red book. ]:) .... Or BS7671 as we know it:D;)

SECTION 701LOCATIONS CONTAINING A BATH OR SHOWER

701.411.3.3 Additional protection by RCD's

additional protection shall be provided for all circuits of the location, by use of one or more RCD's having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1

(415.1.1 is 30ma time not exceeds 40ms at 5xIn)
IMHO

Zone's don't enter into whether RCD or not!

I read "701.411.3.3". that

ALL circuits in a room with a bath or shower.. NEED RCD protection!!

open to debate??? ?:|

Yes you are right SL. I was just looking at the Electricians Guide by John Whitfield & it says that "All equipment installed in all zones must be protected by one or more RCD's" so I gues that means outside the zones aswell.

Wait till you get a job that involves replacing the shower, saniflow & lights. Cheaper to put a split load CU outside the bathroom I reckon.... :D

According to one of the mags that the NICEIC sent me recently, when replacing a shower you do not need to add RCD protection unless required to the manufacturer!!
Which is one of the major changes in the 17th !!!!!!!!

According to one of the mags that the NICEIC sent me recently, when replacing a shower you do not need to add RCD protection unless required to the manufacturer!!
Show me a manufactures instruction that dosn't recommend installation of an RCD? ?:|

In fact I can't think of the last shower instruction I saw that didn't include RCD required??? ?:| :(

Which nearly all specify..