Recip blades?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armeg UK

Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi TEF, me again picking your brains.
Do you use recip blades?
If so, which ones do you use and what for?
Is it really a case of plunge cutting wood ones for flooring etc. and metal cutting ones for conduit, strut, tray etc.? Or is it a little more complicated than that?
As usual, any information is greatly received and could well be rewarded ;)

Thanks in advance

Phil.

Need a good wood saw which doesn’t mind the odd nail or two.
Various tpi depending on what I’m using it for.
If you can also come up with a good blade for Paxolin that would be handy.
Metal blades that don’t go weak at the knees at the sign of metal.

I use a 240V one quite a lot for cutting cutting ridged roofing sheets, if it is the tarry fibre type ones I use a low tpi wood cutting blade, if it is the tin ones then the metal blade goes on.
When I first started using these sheets I struggled at first to get fast reliable cuts and what to use, I tried things like a normal joiners wood saw on the tarry ones, the first half a sheet it was ok then suddenly stopped cutting, looked at the teeth and the tar had formed round and stuck to the teeth making them totally smooth.then I started using the recip saw and it was like a hot knife through butter both on the tarry ones and the metal ones.

blades that flex whilst also going back straight are also a must - often cut something sticking of of steel flush, so sabresaw at an angle compared to whats being cut

and something that doesnt give up and lose its teeth after only a few cuts though some steel

I have a cordless recip saw that I use for various cutting jobs, a good multi purpose blade would be useful that can cope with the odd nail or screw without destroying the blade when cutting into stud walls,
When I had to cut out a wall for a rectangular duct recently I did think a masonary blade would be useful
I don't really have a use for a recip plunge cutting blade as a multitool has a little bit more control