recomended books/learning material for elecrician courses

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt67

Reaction score
So I have decided that I am definatley going for it and will be applying for a course when the paper work arrives.

This will probably start in September time but I want to get a head start so do you have any recomended learning materials:

* books - theory with practical applications etc

* websites - pdf downloads/tutorials/manufacturers technical data sheets

* anything else that I would find useful in preparation

The other reason for starting early is to get as much knowledge as possible so when I do get some job shadowing experience with a local sparky I will know what they are talking about thus giving us both more confidence.

Thanks in advance,

Graham

Books: I used Electrical Installations NVQ and tech cert book 1 from Heinemann and JTL

There is another 1, almost the same title, also published by heinemann that looks good.

On site guide (wait for the 17th to come out tho) and 17th wiring regs (make sure it has the errors corrected tho!) wont hurt (apart form the wallet). On L2 if we needed to use these in class, college had enough copies.

Websites: This 1 ;) . And this section is very good. Welsh has put on 2330 and 2383 papers plus link to Swindow massive, which is well worth a look and a go on their GOLA emulators.

I have a look in the IET forums too. Theres a student section there, but good to have a look in the technical questions and pick up info

Other: I got a set of coloured pens (staedtler) from tesco. Came quite useful for the circuit diagram in the practical write up.

Good hacksaw and blades for the practical sessions. Even if your college provides tools, the hacksaws are pity naff! You save yourself a lot of hassle with a decent hacksaw and blade!

Hope that gives you some ideas :) . And good luck!

The other guys have highlighted a lot of good stuff..

But it always worth spending half & hour or so in your local library or Waterstones books (or similar)

look at the electrical section to actually browse the contents of a few books..

Obviously you know your level of Knowledge & understanding..

& you don't want to order a book form say Amazon for example..

then find its too easy or too hard to get your head around!

You also have to remember electrical work covers a broad spectrum..

e.g. domestic ring main is a different ball game to a heavy power industrial circuit, big bus-bar jobbie' or similar!

Some books are more geared to industrial/commercial... others are aimed at domestic.!

If you need to get to the real basics..

You could try?

Sorry :(

Its getting late! :|

I'll get me coat ...

shoes..

and the Dog!

Woof!!! ]:)

Hang on!!

we haven't got a DOG!!! :_| :p ? :|

whats this I'm walking??? :eek:

anybody lost a dog? ?:|

wait a minute!!!X( X(

This is one of Theory's PIGS!!X(X( X(

THEORY!!!

keep your pigs in that ruddy cave!!:| X(

:^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

GET YOUR OWN PIGS !!!!!

stop upsetting mine ....you know they are sensitive ,,,,

and they know where you live !!!! :^O :^O:^O

and by the way Spesh i might need your trailer soon :eek:

Just ordered the book you suggested although it may be a bit advanced at the moment :eek:
:^O

You should have bought his off of him - it is way to advanced for him.

I am just about to place an order for the following books:

1. Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations: Conforms to IEE Wiring Regulations / BS 7671 / Part P of Building ... 7671/Part P of Building Regulations (Paperback) ISBN-10: 0750684496

2. IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition : (BS 7671: 2008) (Paperback) ISBN-10: 0863418449

3. IEE On-site Guide; BS 7671 : 2008 IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition (Spiral-bound) ISBN-10: 0863418546

Before I push the button are there any last minute recommendations for decent books that cover the basics like ring main ccts, all types of lighting ccts etc or do the above books cover these topics?

One quick question: what is the easiest way to identify the switch cable at a ceiling rose if there are say 4 cables feeding it and the marker tape/or whatever method was used is no longer visible? Is it by turning off the supply to it, disconnecting all the cables and then using a meter to test each one for continuity by turning on/off the switch and what if the light is controlled by 2 switches? Is something like this covered in the Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations book mentioned above?

Thanks for any suggestions or help

With reference to the lights

if you have just the 4 cables showing at the ceiling

isolate cct

continuity between live neutral on each cable while operating the light switch

it would show a short when switch operated

or if you are on your own short out the switch L/N and test for continuity on the 4 cables

Crikey welshy, you have some books there. didn't know the welsh could read? :D ]:)
Thought you were talking about me for a min as I am a Welsh exile living in Essex :^O