Recommendations for Electricians, vague costs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill Gwynne

Reaction score
Hi I’m new to this site so apologies if this is the wrong forum. I live in a 3 bed semi detached in Wroughton and am hoping to get a re-wire at some point this year. Having changed a few sockets and had a new extension built over the years we know a lot is bad. We have an old proteus consumer unit with RCD’s, and one for the sockets can trip quite a lot for no obvious reason. Changing a few sockets, so try at least narrow down the problems, some wires were loose, and it seems hardly any have sleeping on the earth. (Infact I only recently discovered that they’re meant to have them). Also a few years ago, changing a floor mounted socket at top of stairs, I borrowed a neon screwdriver. And at top of stairs is a two gang light switch for landing lights. For some reason I put screwdriver on one of the screws and it lit. It seemed that they put newer wiring in trunking from the downstairs switch but left the original wiring in. The electrician who did the extension just put loads of electrical tape around the old wiring and just tried to make it safe as possible. Also one of the cables that runs from a living room socket to a kitchen socket originally used lighting cable. It seems non of the lighting is earthed. But luckily we don’t seem to have any issues there. But can anyone give a vague idea of costs? I’d guess a minimum of £5000. I think a lot of new chasing would be needed. Is it possible to get the rewiring done in stages to try spread spending out? Or any other ideas? Also watching a lot of YouTube channels such as ‘Dave Savery’, Chris Reeve of CJR Electrical, Nick Bundt, and Dan from DSS electrical, Dave Savery at least insists on having an isolator fitted and an EICR. The EICR makes a bit of sense but Dave seems to be the only one who really insists on it, the others don’t mention it so much but they may do it. What’s people’s thoughts? I get it backs them up, but could some be done at time of re-wire? I mean if you have trust in the electrician and just say ‘do whats needed’ the need for them to do it just to cover themselves isn’t needed. Maybe they just need to do what they feels necessary to get ideas on planning ahead. What’s people’s thoughts?

The only recommendation I can give is ask friends and neighbours for a recommendations for local sparks and get them round to look and discuss.

a rewire means chasing walls, lifting carpets and floorboards .... so lots of making good, which isn’t normally covered by a spark, but they will know plasterers etc

as for planning, think about where extra sockets and lights need to be, don’t forget outside too. Also aerials and CAT 5 is common too

hope this helps

None of us can give an idea on cost without having a look  but  if you budget for the £5000   you shouldn't get any major shocks   (no pun intended)  

Forget  rewiring in  stages ,  that WILL cost you extra dough .  

Get a few local contractors in  and compare prices .  They should be registered as  "Competent Persons"  AKA  "Domestic installers"    so look for  membership of   NICEIC / ELECSA / NAPIT  / STROMA    and the finished work  should be  tested  , an Installation Certificate issued to you  and the work notified to Local Building Control .       

You won’t need to worry about an EICR if you get a full rewire, they will only be wanting to do that so that they don’t get any surprises if they are only doing a board change, without costing for any other additional work.

Agree with above, get in all done at once, before any new decoration projects, preferably when you are on holiday and all your furniture in storage😀