Recommended Books

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could recommend any good books.

Ive got BGB, BRB, Red OSG, GN3, NVQ Electrical Installation books, Practical Guide to Inspection & Testing (Chris Kircher) NICEIC snags and solutions books, Green Electricians Guide to Building Regs but am getting bored after reading them all over 4 times (apart from BRB/BGB :) )

Been scanning amazon and am looking at the other GN's but not sure if the new OSG may be the next to get. Is there alot of difference between the red and green OSG?

Any comments welcome

Thanks

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:13 ----------

Anyone got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Installation-Design-Guide-Calculations/dp/0863415504/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1325600102&sr=8-15 ?? Can anyone recommend this one

Nice one John cheers. l

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:45 ----------

Alans Part P Doctor 2nd Fix is out of stock for amazon atm.

Are the GN's going to be updated for the amendment?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
m4tty,

The design guide is good.

It will help you understand more, it is "basically" the course book for the old 2400.

The GN's are IMHO worth getting, but don't get any until they are updated, same for the design guide TBH as it is due an update very soon.

Oh, yes the green OSG is worth having, it also will help.

The GN's are to be published according to the schedule here:

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-regulations/digital/amd1-programme.cfm

HTH.

Thanks Paul i was looking at getting the design book (grey cover). How long do you recon it'll be before update arrives? cheers

...but not sure if the new OSG may be the next to get.
M4tty, when is your next assessment due? ...don't forget they'll want to see that you've got the new OSG as well as the regs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Been scanning amazon and am looking at the other GN's but not sure if the new OSG may be the next to get. Is there alot of difference between the red and green OSG?Any comments welcome

Thanks
I do know that the green on site guide has a section on surge protection, but not sure it has a lot of significance to the average domestic installation. There is a link to an IET video about the changes to the new on site guide. See first post of this thread.

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/electrician-talk/17784-new-site-guide-summary.html

Doc H.

Thanks guys much appreicated. Assessment not till August so im safe for a while. Think ill get Green OSG when i get the Design one in April. Cheers

Ive never been asked for that as an NICEIC AC QS. :|
M4tty's with ELECSA, same as yours truly... they ask for both BGB and OSG. Not sure why they would ask for different info to NICEIC, but I would prefer to have both anyway (just didn't like paying for them!).

Electricity at work regulations 1989 would be a useful document and required for scheme registration. Although I believe this is obtainable from scheme provider.