Recommended Downlighters. .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gkinghrn

Reaction score
As per my previous thread I am likely to be installing some of these. I may get a professional in though having just seen 4 sets of lighting cables going into the top of the rose I was going to replace -i wasnt planning on using the ceiling rose as a junction box.

Looking around at various threads and sites there is a huge variety out there. I'm not impacted by low void space above and there's no insulation there currently (I expect to change that).

Will be GU10 , fitting LED's and I don't want the low voltage stuff but obviously looking for fire rated lights.

Also the ceilings are lathe and plaster with painted woodchip on it..Is that an issue?

What would folks recommend light wise?

(Apart from telling me to get a professional in .. We've been there and debated that)

Thanks in advance. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Waste of time me asking what a fire retardant light is or recommending anything.

then dont. simple

for the best part, there isnt really much difference between them. some look better than others, some easier to install than others.  I generally use aurora downlights, but rarely ever fire fire rated

As per my previous thread I am likely to be installing some of these. I may get a professional in though having just seen 4 sets of lighting cables going into the top of the rose I was going to replace -i wasnt planning on using the ceiling rose as a junction box.

Looking around at various threads and sites there is a huge variety out there. I'm not impacted by low void space above and there's no insulation there currently (I expect to change that).

Will be GU10 , fitting LED's and I don't want the low voltage stuff but obviously looking for fire rated lights.

Also the ceilings are lathe and plaster with painted woodchip on it..Is that an issue?

What would folks recommend light wise?

(Apart from telling me to get a professional in .. We've been there and debated that)

Thanks in advance. .

Happy to debate it again if you want!

A good quality hole cutter will not have any problem cutting a down light hole in lath and plaster. As for the light fittings themselves, that really is down to personal taste on the colour, finish, size, construction etc, Some of the images on websites are not the most accurate representation of colour and finish. If you are worried about that best go to a supplier who has a shop or counter where you can look before you buy. In my opinion with a down light it is the lamp itself that has the greatest impact on the lights overall appeal, i.e. when  it is on. Whereas a traditional surface fitted light can have just as much importance when it is off because of the prominent fitting more easily on view.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an aside.

It's NOT lathe & plaster, it's lath & plaster.

A lathe is a machine for cutting metal, in a round fashion.

A lath is a thin flexible timber strip, of softwood, generally.

Just an aside.

It's NOT lathe & plaster, it's lath & plaster.

A lathe is a machine for cutting metal, in a round fashion.

A lath is a thin flexible timber strip, of softwood, generally.
Now thatbexplains why my ceiling is so,lumpy!...thank you

I have used a lot of the PAL fittings recently...switchable ( onboard) between CW. WW. Daylight, and fire rated, and IP!rated, and with 4 trims and dimmable

Just saying again

I've fitted the robus tri led fittings. They are decent, fire rated and interchangeable trims. Are a bit expensive though!