Regarding Building Control & Part P Why Do We Bother.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Today I get a call from a customer where I changed a cu & other notifiable works back in 2011 at his rental property.

He is selling this property & purchasers solicitor has gone to town stating the electrics do not have required paper work.....he has given the certs over but can not find the Part P notification.

The owner calls me in a panic "the solicitor has checked & is saying you cant  have registered the work with building control as they have no record of it"

So I check the NICEIC BRCS  list & hey presto there it is, I pass on the details to the customer who then calls Wokingham council BC to confirm they have the details.....

I get a call from him apparently he was told

"oh yes the system is in a mess, we have details of registered electrical work up until 2008, but not a lot since then"

It seems they no longer keep a database of notifications they are sent by the scheme operators.

I'm going to call myself tomorrow & get the lowdown, if its true & other BC's are doing the same................................the yearly P fee will be getting cancelled.

As for the notification the customer has to pay NICEIC for another copy electronic or paper.

As I say every time anything relating to part p or scheme providers is brought up, no-one cares who says or does what and what gets filed or noted anywhere. It will only become an issue if anything ever goes wrong so someone can blame you.

Last edited by a moderator:
whole thing is a joke / mess

i ditched elecsa to go to stroma... currently deciding whether or not to actually join stroma now, elecsa is long gone... might just wait until i actually get something notifiable

We were told some years ago that B,ham  BC were inundated with incoming notifications and were deleting them .  The only thing that seems to matter is the bit of paper we give the customer .

Lets face it ....surely there is'nt a huge database heaving with millions of notifications ...like every board upgrade say , by every NICEIC member since the dawn of Part Pee .

Also I wonder how many people take up the warranty insurance , I never met a sparks who ever pushed it TBH.  I certainly didn't . 

I never met a sparks who ever pushed it TBH.  I certainly didn't . 
i never did. assessor was told im not doing their advertising when he asked if i offered it. nothing else was said about it

then it looks as though not enough people offered it so they didnt make enough from it so they made it mandatory...

I wasn't expecting part p to last this long, especially after seeing all of these other related/added on schemes fall by the wayside. I think it has been about long enough that the stubbornness of all involved will outweigh common sense and decency.

So the only records are held by the scams and us I guess.

:C

I picture a few people in a small office getting payed ****** all by the council surrounded by mountains of NICEIC (© Arsertiva group 2015) paperwork and not knowing WTF to do with it!? :lol:

If the councils are not keeping the documentation then the gravy train is beginning to derail...

Question is what will they do to survive?

Well I can see why the scheme operator in question wants the whole thing kept going ................... using their website a householder or anybody else for that matter, can request a copy of the notification certificate (they do actually call it a certificate), they can only get a paper copy not an electronic one, and for this they have to pay £10 per cert.

just put in a post code not the whole address & you get every notification for all addresses on the street

http://www.checkmynotification.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I can see why the scheme operator in question wants the whole thing kept going ................... using their website a householder or anybody else for that matter, can request a copy of the notification certificate (they do actually call it a certificate), they can only get a paper copy not an electronic one, and for this they have to pay £10 per cert.

just put in a post code not the whole address & you get every notification for all addresses on the street

http://www.checkmynotification.com/
So why couldn't the solicitor or BC have had a quick look there then?

all they have is the cert numbers which are entered manually, still no real substance to their operation IMO. No wonder they are pushing the online certification.

Muppets think they can exist on a database of numbers and blind luck that they are still sat in their well furnished cosy offices! :lol:

I blame Margaret Thatcher.