registering to join an approved scheme

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan.

Reaction score
ok, finished my training now and am looking at getting registered.

How does this work because you not allowed to do any work till you are registered, but it seems you cant get registered till you have some work to show them?!im planning on going with ELECSA.

You can do work and go through your LABC to sign it off (at a cost), you can also use that for your assessment too, I believe.

is that the only way? round here they want 400 notes robbin sods:(

is that the only way? round here they want 400 notes robbin sods:(
Hi Dan

No its not

try and get a job where the customer has paid a fee to the LABC for building work....i.e an extension

you dont have to pay them when u notify that you are doing the electrical work

also can u post a link up of your LABC website with their charges so we can have a look

it doesnt tell you on the website just a number to phone.

so if youve got a job involving building control like a garage conversion ,a non part p spark can do the work and the cost of getting it signed off is included in the price?

it doesnt tell you on the website just a number to phone.so if youve got a job involving building control like a garage conversion ,a non part p spark can do the work and the cost of getting it signed off is included in the price?
Dan

yes mate in the price the customer has paid the LABC

i have done it a few times

which LABC are u under ???

:p

ok, finished my training now and am looking at getting registered.How does this work because you not allowed to do any work till you are registered, but it seems you cant get registered till you have some work to show them?!im planning on going with ELECSA.
Hi Dan..

Just to add to what the other guys have said..

The nuts & bolts of "who's allowed to do what bit" of the electrical part of building works..

is not a lot different from the bricks & mortar part really....

e.g. The actual physical building..

Any person. Professional builder, Amateur DIY can undertake building work...

However plans would need to be submitted & passed..

& the building inspection would want to come out & check at certain key stages of the building work to check it is all been done safe & in accordance with current regs.

Any non-compliant areas would be highlighted to be amended before the building control sign the work off as a goodun!

A complete No brainer DIY-Bob could do the same sort of procedure for his electrical work... & LABC will do checks & test until satisfied (At a cost of course).

A qualified spark can do the work and provide EIC, then LABC just sign off the Part-P compliance bit.

A spark who is qualified & registered with a self-cert Part-P provider...

can do all the bits without involving LABC to attend site for any electrical checks!

So You,,,,

Or ANYBODY! qualified or not can still do electrical work...

just a question of picking the right notification route via LABC!

1:00am ish.... :p

half a glass of Mr kronenbourgs 1664 to finish.. :p :p

I think the above all makes sence.. ?:|

Apologies if it doesn't! :( :^O :^O:8}:8}

Dan TBH you dont live far from me and there isnt really that much that you really need to be part P reg for in any case,

the law states that you must be 'COMPETENT',

and I would challenge any LA to take that to court,(on that note I have news on the smoke detectors in FP!).

Part P is NOT statutory, and BS7671 in all its guises aint either, so dont worry too much about either of them, all you need to do is convince LA your job is fine,!

F 'em all.! I say.

:p Hi Dan..

Just to add to what the other guys have said..

The nuts & bolts of "who's allowed to do what bit" of the electrical part of building works..

is not a lot different from the bricks & mortar part really....

e.g. The actual physical building..

Any person. Professional builder, Amateur DIY can undertake building work...

However plans would need to be submitted & passed..

& the building inspection would want to come out & check at certain key stages of the building work to check it is all been done safe & in accordance with current regs.

Any non-compliant areas would be highlighted to be amended before the building control sign the work off as a goodun!

A complete No brainer DIY-Bob could do the same sort of procedure for his electrical work... & LABC will do checks & test until satisfied (At a cost of course).

A qualified spark can do the work and provide EIC, then LABC just sign off the Part-P compliance bit.

A spark who is qualified & registered with a self-cert Part-P provider...

can do all the bits without involving LABC to attend site for any electrical checks!

So You,,,,

Or ANYBODY! qualified or not can still do electrical work...

just a question of picking the right notification route via LABC!

1:00am ish.... :p

half a glass of Mr kronenbourgs 1664 to finish.. :p :p

I think the above all makes sence.. ?:|

Apologies if it doesn't! :( :^O :^O:8}:8}
I agree,

mostly,

but,

Im pretty sure you can notify LA you are certifying yourself and if they want to come check it its at their expense unless they find a fault,

and if you have 17th, then you pretty much covered, 2391 is better, take em to court for the costs if they cant prove jack.!

Ive threatened it a few times and they have said ,

"OK, just this once tho,. "

Morning Mr Steps. :)
morning Admin,

I have found a major problem with my paypal, :(

maybe this has been the issue, X(

have just tried to pay for something in japan and i have no money in the account, :eek: :O:O

HAROOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDDDD,,,,,,,,,,

:eek:

It may have a lot to do with it. :^O

Unless you have DD set up like me. :)

interesting stuff. most people that have works done dont know about part p anyway and if you didnt give em a cert theyd probably be none the wiser until they come to sell that is:p

electrics isnt my main game im a kitchen fitter by trade and have kinda stumbled onto this part p thing when i got back into fitting domestic kitchens for a firm ive been subbing too,it all just seems a big pain in the **** and waste of money,ive spent the best part of 3k already and im not even registered. :|

dan.......

You need to way up the benefits of joining the scheme..

I'm currently about to depart from the scheme (and maybe the trade itself, if things don't improve)

Kev

Im thinking of joining a scam,,,,,but reading steptoes post i might argue the toss with my Labc

i have notified before ,,they came out on first fix and then never came back

they accepted my cert and the customer got theirs from them

load of poo

Dan - If I got to be honest I changed a CU in my own house as one of the jobs to show the Scam providers. I didnt notify the LABC because of the cost involved. When the NIC bloke came out there was no talk of weather I'd notified it or not.

For you as a Kitchen fitter it must be a pain spending approx

Dan - If I got to be honest I changed a CU in my own house as one of the jobs to show the Scam providers. I didnt notify the LABC because of the cost involved. When the NIC bloke came out there was no talk of weather I'd notified it or not.For you as a Kitchen fitter it must be a pain spending approx