Relying on customers to buy the materials

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Working with a mate on one of his jobs,,,,,40 downlighters in 5 rooms

customer insisted on buying them,,,,job started friday with the promise of the downlighters being avaiable Monday.

guess what,, he hasn't ordered the lights yet so we can't do any more att

at what stage would you start charging 'standing time' and at what rate ?

we have given him Monday as a freebie only because a one day job popped up but we wont be starting again until Wednesday

Working with a mate on one of his jobs,,,,,40 downlighters in 5 roomscustomer insisted on buying them,,,,job started friday with the promise of the downlighters being avaiable Monday.

guess what,, he hasn't ordered the lights yet so we can't do any more att

at what stage would you start charging 'standing time' and at what rate ?

we have given him Monday as a freebie only because a one day job popped up but we wont be starting again until Wednesday
To be perfectly honest...

I don't think I would have started the job until confirmation that the materials are actually physically there! :| :(

I don't like even confirming I can definitely start my own jobs unless I know I can see touch and smell the goods to be installed...

I hate been delayed cuz one farty cog is out of synch with the daily routines... X(

especially when I know I could be doing other work...

either paid proper stuff or even just sorting out my own stuff at home...

Not good hanging around! :( :(

lesson learnt i think

and i just know that the downlighters will be wrong for the job when they arriveX(

I do hate it when customers say they'll buy the materials, it normally ends up being cheap B&Q or IKEA tat.

Agreed M107. If they want to get their own materials, I generally send `em to my preferred suppliers. Then I`ll call `em a couple of days beforehand, to confirm they`ve actually got the stuff.

Not much help to you really, Theo; but if I did have this situation, I`d HAVE to charge almost immediately.

Same here. When fitting downlights I like to use those Click connectors & get the downlights connected to the transformers before I get to the job. Do ur IR tests, then just plug the things in.

All depends on the customer if you charge extra time.

i did suggest we charged the customer straight away but we think there could be a lot more work that needs doing in the property.....

lights in garage dont work....wine cellar lighting faulty all sockets switches need replacing and it goes on.....

dont think we should rock the boat just yet ;)

This is the problem when customers get materials. I had this on a job, the downlighters they got from wickes and they were not fire rated. Luckily one of my wholesalers delivered some out the same day so there was no hold up. Some of these customers do your head in. I told them they would need an extractor in the extension as it was now part of the kitchen they said no because it wasn't on the plans. Any way I have now got to go back to install fan so job can be signed off, great when its all been plastered. Its going to cost them a lot more than if i had done it at first fix.

batty

I dont let customers but the materials for this exact reason......

You cant charge a wating fee or down time unless it is on your qoutation or company terms and cond.. and then is signed by the customer ( you would not win if it went to court) i've had this prob and now have signed qoutations

Just make a note and add the lost cost into any future work :)

Craig

I dont let customers but the materials for this exact reason......You cant charge a wating fee or down time unless it is on your qoutation or company terms and cond.. and then is signed by the customer ( you would not win if it went to court) i've had this prob and now have signed qoutations

Just make a note and add the lost cost into any future work :)

Craig
Couldn't agree more...

My normal procedure is to provide a quote with a duplicate copy for the customer to sign..

I have a space for them to write their preferred start date for the work as well.

I dont order materials until I have a signed quote back in my grubby mits..

saves loads of agro! :D

> Relying on customers to buy the materials<

I would say is sometimes (often?) this a bad move, I try and tell the customers that want to go up this route, what to buy..

(Clients don't tend to consider all practical issues, with the product(s))

:D

Unless it is fancy lights or fancy palte swithces I prefer to buy.

It the client wants a certain style they get directed to my local wholesaler and they pick what they like and get my discount- the wholesaler is good enough to steer the client away from tat.

I perfer not to do jobs where the client supplies the stuff- if I do it is on a time and materials basis. Then if they buy fiddly lights then it is more time and more money.

Most people listen to advice when you point out it will be cheaper

Having said all that, if you`re approaching vat threshold, and don`t want to be vat reg`d; you might HAVE to let them buy the materials; just to keep your turnover down a bit!
Yes Mate. Agreed.