Removed 2 powered smoke alarms connected to lighting circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel1403

Reaction score
Hi folks, to comply with the new Scottish smoke alarm legislation I bought 3 smoke alarms and a heat alarm. 10 year sealed battery type.

We already had 2 old powered smoke alarms in the hallway, which share an mcb with some of the lights. Kitchen lights are on a sep mcb.

I turned the mcb off and removed both old alarms in the hallway.

I put the terminated cables, red, blue, black and earth in separate choc blocks and popped them up in the ceiling.

However, the 2 earth wires from each flat twin and earth cable, which are circled in the picture, I just cut them very short to terminate them.

I turned on the mcb and the lights are working fine.

My question, is it ok how I did it, as afterwards I thought, “oh I hope I did not mess up the earth continuity“ by just cutting those cables and leaving them unconnected?

Thank you for advise and hopefully reassurance 😊

Attachments

• FCC024B2-AA41-4909-8EBA-84C40B881CEC.jpeg
    FCC024B2-AA41-4909-8EBA-84C40B881CEC.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 38
Shoving block connectors is wholly inappropriate and a potential fire hazard so I would strongly recommend you seek the services of an electrician to rectify what you have done.

Thanks for the reply’s.

The new smoke detectors and heat alarm are battery powered, with sealed 10 year battery.

That’s why a put the aforementioned cables into terminal strip connectors, 1 cable each in a separate connector, ie 1 piece with the 2 screws per cable.

I thought that would “terminate” them safely?

However, I will get an electrician to assess.

Thanks for the advice.

It’s not a question of terminating correctly. Choc blocks are not an enclosure and could be classed as accessible live parts… also choc blocks are not maintenance free so shoving them in the ceiling won’t be easily accessible.

Also, yes you need to ensure your CPC’s (Circuit Protective Conductor) are connected throughout the circuit to ensure all points have continuity back to the consumer unit.

Also, yes you need to ensure your CPC’s (Circuit Protective Conductor) are connected throughout the circuit to ensure all points have continuity back to the consumer unit.
Thank you. I will have an electrician make it safe.

You could have fitted a plaserboard conduit round back box in the celling (they are smaller) made off the cables properly using Wago connectors. You must connect the earth as it is almost definitely looped through to other fittings. Then fit the new battery operated alarm on top of the conduit box using the threaded lugs. Then get it checked by a qualified person to comply with Scottish regulations.

I would not have removed them. you had good Aico alarms. What you should have done is replaced one with a radio link base and bought Aico ei600 series wireless battery powered alarms for the extra ones. A solution I do a lot at the moment in houses where additional hard wiring is impractical.

That would also have been cheaper than what you did.

Next time ask for advice before doing the job.