Removing tiles

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Hi guys

Been asked to add two double sockets in a diy kitchen. This is part of a cu change, new garage supply etc so i am expecting some horrors !!!!

Anyway a 2 1/2 metre worktop has no sockets but is tiled thankfully in cheap white type. I need to remove the centre row to run the cable.

What is the best way to do it without cracking the ones above and below

Cheers

This is how I do it.

Step1. Remove the grout from all of the edges of the tiles that you wish to remove.

Step2. Drill some holes in the tiles to be removed (Ceramic bit)

Step3. Use a hammer and cold chisel to cut the tile between the holes you have drilled, chop out the center protion of the tiles. (taking care not to damage the ones you want left intact)

Step4. working towards the edge of the tiles to be removed, remove all the edges of the tiles taking care again not to damage the ones you want left intact.

Then when you have finsihed the install it should be an easy job to replace the tiles.

Somebody may have a different/better way than this, but it works fine for me.

Hope its useful to you.

Sounds a good way to go about it

might take longer than i thought though

Cheers for that

Yes it is labourious, but at least you may only hav to replace the ones you remove instead of a load you accidently break.

You are most welcome Theo.

This is how I do it.Step1. Remove the grout from all of the edges of the tiles that you wish to remove.

Step2. Drill some holes in the tiles to be removed (Ceramic bit)

Step3. Use a hammer and cold chisel to cut the tile between the holes you have drilled, chop out the center protion of the tiles. (taking care not to damage the ones you want left intact)

Step4. working towards the edge of the tiles to be removed, remove all the edges of the tiles taking care again not to damage the ones you want left intact.

Then when you have finsihed the install it should be an easy job to replace the tiles.

Somebody may have a different/better way than this, but it works fine for me.

Hope its useful to you.
And charge the customer accordingly..

B)

Evnin Theory! :D

Re ABC's first suggestion..

Step1. Remove the grout from all of the edges of the tiles that you wish to remove.
Definitely need to remove all of the grout around the tiles...

& I assume we are all talking some sort of a proper grout removal tool..

serrated blade with nice grippy handle...

not a screwdriver & knife:_|

available from B&Q or similar establishment! ]:)

Once all of the grout is shifted..

before drilling & cutting I would explore how well they are actually stuck to the wall?

I keep an old wide blade wood chisel (1 1/2" or 2")...

which can be gently prised behind one of the tiles...

I have found in the past sometimes they actually pop off the wall intact without needing to break the tile.

I have also heard... (but never tried)...

That a wallpaper steam stripper will loosen or soften tile adhesive allowing tiles to be removed intact?

Has the customer actually got spare tiles or can you get an equivalent match?

in which case just do the quickest remove operation! :D

I have previously actually cut up the plaster behind tiles on the wall from below worktop level...

customer had nice tiles.. didn't want to change.. had no spares..

Cut hole in wall for metal back box... sink for deep box... make exploratory hole below worktop level...

clear plaster back to wall.... drill up with long narrow drill bit

(the sort that you can bend and flex slightly as you drill it)...

use battery drill ease up through plaster aiming for the sunk box location you just cut.

Takes time.. but can be done...

Customer chuffed cuz there nice tiles still intact! :D

SL:)

Theo:

Spent quite a few years working with a bathroom & kitchen firm. Lot of the work involved removing old tiles.

Q1...What is the wall construction behind them. This makes a MASSIVE difference in the way to remove them!

Q2... What is the approx. size of the tile in question?

However - irrespective of these; the first stage is indeed to remove the grout. A stanley knife is a very good tool for this; as it does not stress the tiles. Just be aware that the body of the stanley can leave marks on the tiles, if you let it drag across them!

Give me the answers to Qs above, and we`ll discuss further. n.b. dependant on answers, a crowbar (serious) can be very useful.

Theo:Spent quite a few years working with a bathroom & kitchen firm. Lot of the work involved removing old tiles.

Q1...What is the wall construction behind them. This makes a MASSIVE difference in the way to remove them!

Q2... What is the approx. size of the tile in question?

However - irrespective of these; the first stage is indeed to remove the grout. A stanley knife is a very good tool for this; as it does not stress the tiles. Just be aware that the body of the stanley can leave marks on the tiles, if you let it drag across them!

Give me the answers to Qs above, and we`ll discuss further. n.b. dependant on answers, a crowbar (serious) can be very useful.
Q1

brick to one corner then onto stud wall where the sockets will go

Q2

they are the 150mm plain white cheapo tiles so easy to get replacements and the customer is happy to lose them.

Evnin Theory! :D Re ABC's first suggestion..

Definitely need to remove all of the grout around the tiles...

& I assume we are all talking some sort of a proper grout removal tool..

serrated blade with nice grippy handle...

not a screwdriver & knife:_|

available from B&Q or similar establishment! ]:)

Yes, they are cheap as chips also

That a wallpaper steam stripper will loosen or soften tile adhesive allowing tiles to be removed intact?

I will try to remember this method for when I do my bathroom, might work?

:D

Q1brick to one corner then onto stud wall where the sockets will go

Q2

they are the 150mm plain white cheapo tiles so easy to get replacements and the customer is happy to lose them.
Ok m8:

Cheapo tiles aren`t coming off in one piece generally. On the section against brick, once the grout is away from the tiles to remove, use a bolster, and lumpa (with eye protection) to get behind the biscuit of the tile, and lever/prise/smash from wall.

As for the plasterboard; I would cut the section of plasterboard out (plasterboard saw would be the tool of choice), and remove whole section, plasterboard & tiles. Cut new piece of plasterboard in afterwards m8.

Clear ( as the proverbial?)

KME

Cheers for thatlooks like im gonna have some fun ]:) ] :)
Spose it does all hinge on...

hew well the tiles were stuck in the first place? ?:|

I have been to a couple of jobs where the tiles could almost be pulled off with your bare hands......

or certainly with a basic wall paper scrapping knife.

they were installed with a very economical view to adhesive!!

So you never know m8... it may be an absolute doddle! :D :D

send back some pictures of how you find them once you've got them removed? :)

I will try to remember this method for when I do my bathroom, might work?

:D
I would just say in my defence...

in case this method doesn't work.....

that I was told it by my younger sister...

and she heard it from a friend!!!

not sure whether you would need to shift the grout first to let steam penetrate behind the tiles????? ?:| ? :| :)

who knows??? any offers.....

answers on a post card please! :^O

not sure whether you would need to shift the grout first to let steam penetrate behind the tiles????? ?:| ? :| :)

if it does work,

surely you could end up with a whole wall full of tiles no longer being full of tiles, if you get my drift.

I dont think the steam would be too fussy about which tiles it loosens. :eek:

Well, a grouted tiled wall is SUPPOSED to be waterproof. Yes, the grout would still have to come out.

I`d never heard this one b4; and tend to think as steppie here - the tiles don`t know which are supposed to come off!!!

But let`s hear more about the sister`s friend! Who is she?

Well, a grouted tiled wall is SUPPOSED to be waterproof. Yes, the grout would still have to come out.

I`d never heard this one b4; and tend to think as steppie here - the tiles don`t know which are supposed to come off!!!

But let`s hear more about the sister`s friend! Who is she?
or the sister, how young is she really????? ]:) :p :eek: :p] :) :p