Repairing blossom wall light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jax

Reaction score
Hi there. 

I am refurbishing a wall light. It's like a tree branch with blossoms, each blossom represented by a little bulb.

https://picclick.co.uk/Habitat-Tse-Tse-Cherry-Blossom-LED-Light-202302027481.html

There are three types of bulb:

Round white

Long pink

Teeny clear

Various clusters and branches weren't working but I have got most of it going again by a painstaking process of bulb testing and swapping. There is no rhyme or reason to how these bulbs affect each other! Funfunfun.

I have got some branches going by short-circuiting blown white bulbs by wrapping the bases with a sliver of tinfoil. Is this safe or silly? I have found a few bulbs that look right on ebay so hopefully it's only temporary. None of the foil is exposed.

I am short by 7 or 8 of the teeny clear bulbs, though. I have managed to get their branches going by stuffing tinfoil into the vacant bulb holders. Can someone tell me the best way of permanently making the current travel across these holders? Would it be enough to put a blob of some electrical / heat resistant adhesive on top of the foil? 

(Ideally I would replace with new bulbs but can't find anything like them - their bases are smaller than the other two types.)

TIA

How about we stop with the foil tricks and ask if we know where to get the lamps you are looking for?

they are not lamps but individual light emitting diodes (led)  by the look of the picture. What have you found? 

Sorry, the picture is wrongly titled. Pretty certain they are lamps. Here is a pic of some similar on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/15x-Replacement-0-23w-BULBS-for-Habitat-Natale-Christmas-Tree-etc-RED-PINK/163981013981?hash=item262e07b3dd:g:xRcAAOSwKAFd7lW7

(When the forum allows me to upload pics after 10 posts I will be able to show you better pics of what I have)

But sadly I cannot find anything that looks like the tiny clear ones, which have a smaller fitting.

I was doing foil tricks mainly to see if it was repairable - I didn't start with the intention of using it like that, honest Guv!

Do you know, pray, where else I might be able to look for tiny bulbs to try and get a match? 

Some guesses:    From the picture It looks as though it runs off a low voltage adaptor?  If so at least you won't be dealing with hazardous voltages.  (Check!)   

I suspect that there will be several series wired chains each made up of several leds . That would explain the apparently random inter-dependencies.  By shorting out some lamps you will be increasing the voltage on the others in that chain and are likely to shorten their life. 

The odd things are firstly that the leds are removeable, a feature I've never seen, - most leds are non-replaceable, and secondly that they have failed, as they are usually very reliable. Are you sure its not just connection problems?

Thanks Geoff! They aren't LEDs, they are little filament bulbs. My bad - the title on the picture I chose is wrong. I will upload some pics of the actual thing today one way or another. It runs off a 24v adaptor.

Thanks Geoff! They aren't LEDs, they are little filament bulbs. My bad - the title on the picture I chose is wrong. I will upload some pics of the actual thing today one way or another. It runs off a 24v adaptor.
OK. I assume there are no markings on the dead lamps?  

So first work out what voltage they are. Check how many go out when one is removed and divide 24 by the number.  e.g. if you take out one and three others go out there must be a chain of four in series. Hence each is 6 volt.

Next issue is to identify the base type. The smallest common type I've met is called LES -  Lilliput Edison screw. These are about 5mm diameter and were popular on Christmas lights about 20 or 30 years ago when they were largely replaced by push in "wedge" types. Googling miniature lamps may help the identification. 

Just spotted your posting of similar items. Those are what I call push in wedge types. The bad news is that sizes vary slightly. The good news is that you can pull the lamp our of the wedge bit and insert a new one, so don't lose the plastic wedge bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jax,

I stumbled upon your thread regarding reviving a Habitat Cherry Blossom wall light and was wondering if you have managed to find replacement bulbs.

I also own such a lamp for about 12 years now but I have run out of spare bulbs, so most of the brachnes are dead meanwhile and since Habitat has ceased to be (at least here in Germany) it's hard to find suitable replacement bulbs.

If you have found a source of supply please let me know

Best regards,

Joerg

Hi Jax,

I stumbled upon your thread regarding reviving a Habitat Cherry Blossom wall light and was wondering if you have managed to find replacement bulbs.

I also own such a lamp for about 12 years now but I have run out of spare bulbs, so most of the brachnes are dead meanwhile and since Habitat has ceased to be (at least here in Germany) it's hard to find suitable replacement bulbs.

If you have found a source of supply please let me know

Best regards,

Joerg

Have you worked out what voltage they are?  I found a source of 6 volt ones recently for some vintage Christmas lights I have.

Latest posts